WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionMicrosoft Security Essentials & DOS/ALUREON.E EmptyMicrosoft Security Essentials & DOS/ALUREON.E

more_horiz
Alright, so, I found this forum by searching Alureon.E.

I had a problem with my desktop, an evil virus as I'm calling it, that blanked my desktop, gave me a billion errors(can't remember what they said), and basically made my computer useless. The only program that would run was AIM, and there was nothing in my start menu. I tried various fixes found on the internet, as I kept getting a "System Fix" scan popping up, but I was completely unable to even access a DVD Drive, or thumbdrive.

I reformatted.

Got the computer semi-working, at least enough that I can now do something with it. It's obvious that I have the virus on one of my partitions, as things are not working correctly. I downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials at my friend's suggestion, ran it, found nothing. Did some system updates, and finally went to look on some of my partitions. The files are still all missing from there, but the data usage states that there has been no real change in what's taken up. I assume that the files are still there.

Then, MSE started popping up that it's detected DOS/ALUREON.E but when I tell it to remove, it either fails to remove it, or states that it has, in fact, quarantined the file. I restart as it directs me to, and when the computer starts back up, it gives me the same popup telling me that it found DOS/ALUREON.E and the cycle continues.

I found another thread related to this - it's where Google directed me and was actually the top search result - and I downloaded both Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware, and am currently running those scans to see if this will help, but I'm concerned that with MSE attempting to block the file, neither MAM nor SAS will find it to remove it.

I have not had a chance to download the diagnostic scan that I am supposed to run before asking for help, as I am still currently running a full scan with SAS. As well, the instructions I'm to follow are a little complex for my brain at 2.30 am. I will report back as soon as SAS has finished running, and download and run the diagnostic in the morning.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm actually a little embarrassed to have to ask for help about this, as I am generally the person who fixes other people's computers! However I don't have much experience with partitioned hard drives, and I've never had my files removed from a partition when I only formatted the OS partition. If I cannot remove the infection, I will be forced to slave my hard drive into another computer, and remove the files important files that way, if that works.

EDIT TO ADD - this is my windows XP desktop that I am having the problem with. I am accessing the forums via my vista laptop.

descriptionMicrosoft Security Essentials & DOS/ALUREON.E EmptyRe: Microsoft Security Essentials & DOS/ALUREON.E

more_horiz
Hello.
Please read this topic: http://www.GeekPolice.net/t3821-read-this-before-posting

Read through the instructions and post the required logs in your next post.
You may need to use more than 1 post to fit them all.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Microsoft Security Essentials & DOS/ALUREON.E DXwU4
Microsoft Security Essentials & DOS/ALUREON.E VvYDg

descriptionMicrosoft Security Essentials & DOS/ALUREON.E EmptyRe: Microsoft Security Essentials & DOS/ALUREON.E

more_horiz
yeah, never mind. I'll just work it out on my own. You can delete this thread.

**edit to add**

I figured out why I couldn't see my files and why MSE couldn't remove the problem... the files were all hidden and set to read only.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum