WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

MS REMOVAL TOOL INFECTION

2 posters

descriptionMS REMOVAL TOOL INFECTION - Page 2 EmptyRe: MS REMOVAL TOOL INFECTION

more_horiz
Hi,

I actually had this same issue on a machine I was working on for a friend the other day.

I took another machine, went to the Dell site I linked to above, got the wireless driver by entering the service tag and installed it off a USB. Can you do that?

descriptionMS REMOVAL TOOL INFECTION - Page 2 EmptyRe: MS REMOVAL TOOL INFECTION

more_horiz
Okay, I can try that. I have a double usb cable. I'm seeing a lot of stuff I can download:
3 applications, 2 audio, 1 BIOS, 1 cd/dvd, 2 chipset, 1 diagnostics, 1 mouse and keyboard, 4 network, 1 SATA drives, and 1 system utilities. I guess I just need the one(s) that will allow my machine to get online? Then I can download any others from my machine? HMMM-- just plugged in usb cable and my computer shows no indication of recognizing a hookup. Don't see anything on MY Computer and nothing popped up.... Is there something else to try? Perhaps I can download the needed driver and put it on a disc?

more_horiz

more_horiz
This is very frustrating. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've entered my tag, and gotten a list of stuff to download. When I hit download, what downloads is something called Dell Drive Download Manager, an application. When I click that it says that there are no drivers selected to download. What I thought I was downloading was: R209077.EXE, which I would then extract and install on my other computer. The weird thing is that no matter what I select to download from that Dell page, what it tells me I've selected to download is that download manager. ???WTF??? Also, once I get that squared away, I'm not sure i'm trying to get the right driver. There's one Dell-Driver that's considered "recommended" which applies to a whole list of mini-cards. Then there's another that they call "optional" which is an Intel Driver, which applies to the Intel PRO/Wireless network connection (which I recognize I think) and the (R) Wireless wifi link 4965 AGN. Which do I want?

more_horiz
Ah. There should be another option under that called Download Via Internet Browser. Click that and it will circumvent the Dell Download Manager. You'll need both drivers actually

more_horiz
Good news - that worked and I am now connected to the internet. I'm still not writing from the previously infected machine bc I want to know if there's anything I should do (ie check firewall, protection, anti virus software) before going online? I used to use microsoft security essentials and spybot s&d. The machine did just install some automatic microsoft updates--but it is still saying that the Intel PROSet software is unable to detect a supported wireless adapter. I'm sure I can get everything I need from that dell page. For now though, I am happy to be connected to the internet!
R

more_horiz
If you can get the drivers issue sorted you'll be well on your way. For now, just use it to get to the Dell site and we'll sort out a protection schema later

more_horiz
ok. Btw - Windows Updater has found 74 updates. Do I want to install them all?

more_horiz
Not yet. We'll do that later Smile...

more_horiz
Just dowloaded this quickset application-- and to finish installing it sent me to download this microsoft netframeworking thing. But then to finish installing that it's telling me to install the 32 bit windows imaging component and then run setup. Should I do all this? The Quickset Application is categorized as optional. If yes, I assume we are the _deu.exe?

more_horiz
You can skip over that for now. It sounds like it hinges on some Windows Updates we haven't gotten around to installing.

more_horiz
Hi Crush -- okay I've downloaded everything that will take from the dell support page. Interesting issue -- i'm still getting a "driver is not installed" icon on the bottom of the screen. When I click it, I'm instructed to check the device manager for the Network Adapters, then repair the Intel PROSet/Wireless item. Thing is, I've got 3 things listed under Network Adapters -- 1394 Net Adapter, Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, and Dell Wireless 1395 WLan mini card, which I believe is the one that got me to connect. So maybe I don't need this Intel Proset adapter? If not, how can I get it to bug off and not bother me with the "driver missing" messages?
R

Last edited by roseytaos on 6th June 2011, 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Ok. Hope they all go well

more_horiz
Hi Crush -- okay I've downloaded everything that will take from the dell support page. Interesting issue -- i'm still getting a "driver is not installed" icon on the bottom of the screen. When I click it, I'm instructed to check the device manager for the Network Adapters, then repair the Intel PROSet/Wireless item. Thing is, I've got 3 things listed under Network Adapters -- 1394 Net Adapter, Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, and Dell Wireless 1395 WLan mini card, which I believe is the one that got me to connect. So maybe I don't need this Intel Proset adapter? If not, how can I get it to bug off and not bother me with the "driver missing" messages?

more_horiz

more_horiz
Now writing from restored machine. Deleted Intel software. Don't seem to miss it. What next?

more_horiz
Are all drivers up to date? Are there any yellow !'s in Device Manager? (accessed via Start>Run devmgmt.msc Enter)

more_horiz
Expanded everything in device manager--no yellow.

more_horiz
Fantastic. Let's follow up with installing those updates

more_horiz
Updates installed. Can I install some basic stuff like adobe flash player?

more_horiz
Absolutely

more_horiz
Ok Crush -- so far so good. What are my next steps?

more_horiz
All updates installed? Nice!

Is there an antivirus and protection schema on the machine?

more_horiz
Security Essentials shows a firewall on, but no antivirus protection.

more_horiz
Hi,

Then we need to get one installed. I would recommend Avast free

more_horiz
okay - Avast installed.

more_horiz
Next comes the other programs. Again, up to you what you install but, I would recommend:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Spywareblaster for passive protection
SpywareGuard for the same purpose

more_horiz
I've installed those three suggestions. For Spywareblaster I had to choose between cookie protection and something else beginning with an a --- I chose the first one which wasn't the cookie one. The machine is working great. Anything else I need to do at this point?

more_horiz
Hi,

You'll need to configure Spywareblaster

See here:
http://www.pchelpforum.com/security-tutorials/106802-using-spywareblaster-apply-passive-protection.html

more_horiz
ok. I enabled all protection. Hey - quick question. How do I set things up so that when I download something, it always asks me where I want it to be saved?

more_horiz
In which browser?

more_horiz
Firefox

more_horiz
Tools>Options General Tab

Under Downloads make sure the radio button Always ask me where to save files is selected

more_horiz
Cool. Am I pretty much on my way now? Anything else from your end that I should be doing?

more_horiz
Everything is looking great. Do you have questions?

more_horiz
Nope. I think I'm on wheels. Thanks so much for your help. :smile2:

more_horiz
No problem. I was glad to help

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum