WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionCannot retreive files from external hard drive EmptyCannot retreive files from external hard drive

more_horiz
I have a Seagate 500GB Replica USB drive. This drive can be plugged into any computer to read and transfer backup files. When I plug it into my laptop it works, but when I plug it into my desktop it doesn't. Normally when plugged in it shows up in My Computer as a drive. When the drive is selected, a dialog opens that when clicked allows access to the files. When that drive is selected on the desktop, the dialog opens but when clicked an hour glass shows for a few seconds then stops.

The device shows up in device manager and shows it is working properly. It shows up as a drive in MY Computer. I have reinstalled the USB drivers. The System BIOS is up to date. My computer is up to date on Intel drivers. Other USB devices on the system are working fine. Windows Updates are current.

Windows XP Home, SP3, IE8

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this??

descriptionCannot retreive files from external hard drive EmptyRe: Cannot retreive files from external hard drive

more_horiz
Hi there,

After plugging in the HD. Does it shows a drive letter in My Computer. If not Right click on My Computer and click on Manage.

Then go to Disk Managment and assign a Drive Letter for your External Drive

If it does show a drive letter then go to Start and Run then type in CMD

then type in chkdsk /f (drive letter) without bracket.

Hope this helps,
Captain

............................................................................................

Regards,
Captain MVP
Cannot retreive files from external hard drive Gp_use10

It is considered
courteous to  post a reply if you have been able to resolve your problem, or received  an answer to your question.

descriptionCannot retreive files from external hard drive EmptyRe: Cannot retreive files from external hard drive

more_horiz
Hi

The drive shows up as: Seagate Replica (F:).

I ran chkdsk as well as Seagate's own disk checking software. Both show the drive as ok.

Thanks for your input.

Ron

more_horiz
Does this External HDD have any extra drivers came with it ? Also try different ports as well. Sometime if the USB drive don't have enough Power the drive won't show up correctly.

............................................................................................

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered
courteous to  post a reply if you have been able to resolve your problem, or received  an answer to your question.

more_horiz
No, there are no extra drivers. I changed cables and ports.

No joy.

Thanks

Ron

more_horiz
Does the external storage have power output?

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
I guess so. It shows up in "My Computer". It just won't launch the program,
also remember, it works fine on my other computer.

more_horiz
I looked up your device on the Internet, and it does not have a separate power cord. Apparently it gets its power via the USB connection. It's possible that the PC that does not work with it does not give it enough power via the USB connection.

At any rate, there is a way to get to the files. Simply set up the Seagate drive on the system that works as a Shared device, then attach to it from the other PC. If you know how to set up simple file sharing in your home LAN, you should be good to go.

The Open File

more_horiz
I finally found the problem. There were some left over files in the registry causing the program not to open. After disconnecting the Seagate from my computer, I went into the registry and deleted every instance of "Seagate". The unit now works. Thanks for your response.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum