WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows Defender Problems EmptyWindows Defender Problems

more_horiz
Using a laptop running Windows Vista, when trying to change my startup programs, I get a message saying, "Windows Defender is turned off" that won't let me change the programs until I click "Turn on and open Windows Defender." When I try to turn it on, I get an error message "Windows Defender encountered an error 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To restart the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually."

I tried using the information from this page} (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931849), but none of the steps have worked.

NOTE: My error message is neither of the ones listed on that page, but the number is the same.

Step 1: I did, but I still get the error message.

Step 2: Windows Defender is not in my list of programs to uninstall, but it is listed in the start menu. I still tried reinstalling it but got the message, "You do not need to install this software because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access Windows Defender from the Security section of the Windows Control Panel."

Step 3: Again, Windows Defender is not in my list of programs to uninstall. I tried skipping to d (using the Windows Installer CleanUp utility) but when I search for "programs and features" there are absolutely no results.

Step 4: The first two file names succeeded, but at the third one it tells me "The module wucltui.dll failed to load.... The specified module could not be found." Fourth works, but wuweb.dll doesn't. The next few work until I get to initpki.dll, and the last one does work.

I restarted the computer in the hope that something might have changed, but to no avail. Any advice?

NOTE: From reading other posts, it seems that most people get this message every time they turn on the computer, but I never get it unless I try to turn it on manually.

descriptionWindows Defender Problems EmptyRe: Windows Defender Problems

more_horiz
Hello. Glad to have you here at the forums.

Have you had any blue screens or crashes or other system damage lately - such as a virus infection?

Any recent install of Windows Updates that you feel were not installed properly.

~DMJ Windows Defender Problems Skinnyironsword

more_horiz
My computer overheats a lot (multiple times a day--and yes, I am keeping it on flat tables), but otherwise no problems. I've caught a few viruses and such with my virus scanner, but they had never caused any noticeable harm. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, and there are three items I've removed, but they only date back to last month, and I had encountered this problem before then.

As for updates, I wouldn't know how to how to check whether they installed properly. Everything seems okay, and Windows Update doesn't have any important updates for me to install.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum