WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionNeed help with installing os EmptyNeed help with installing os

more_horiz
I have a dell 1100 laptop, it had xp on it but was having problems so I started to reinstall xp on it. I was using xp cd.. it booted from cd, started installation process, asked me if i wanted to delete previous partition & format a new one to install; so I did so, then it started copying files & the cd rom stopped working. After the cd rom stopped working & wasnt able to finish the setup, now everytime i turn on laptop, it wont boot from cd (since it is no longer working) & wont boot from hard drive.. It comes up a black screen that says:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

but everytime i restart it says same thing, I tried making a bootable USB flash drive from the windows xp cd on the laptop im using right now. I changed bios in the dell laptop to boot from usb but it still says the same thing.. PLEASE HELP.. ive researched so much & i cant figure out what to do now.... :sad:

descriptionNeed help with installing os EmptyRe: Need help with installing os

more_horiz
Hi,
Please read link posted by Microsoft Corporation and your problem should be solved :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397

............................................................................................

Need help with installing os V45u80

more_horiz
still doing the same thing... any other suggestions.. please help :sad:

more_horiz
Do you have Windows XP Installation CD ?

Would you like to boot from cd > After licence agreement page, you'll have to choose > Press R to start Repair or Press Enter to install fresh copy of Windows.

We need R > Press R to enter Command Prompt as Recovery Console.

Follow steps which computer ask, as administrator password and windows installation partition, after that you'll have clear way to enter next commands. Please, after each command press Enter :
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:

Important : Change X with your CD/DVD Drive letter! E: or D:, G:, i don't know which one you have.

FIXBOOT

After this command, you'll have to confirm with Y as Yes.

FIXMBR

Also press Y as Yes.

Now type next command to fix your system files and check hdd for bad sectors and perform a fix for it :
chkdsk /r

When everything finish, please type exit to exit Recovery Console.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
everytime i restart it says same thing, I tried making a bootable USB flash drive from the windows xp cd on the laptop im using right now. I changed bios in the dell laptop to boot from usb but it still says the same thing..
i have the windows xp cd but as i said my cd rom stopped working.. so i cant get the windows 2 pull up at all, no recovery, no repair, nothing...

more_horiz
Windows Installation from USB should have Recovery Console as Windows CD.

You can not boot from usb ? You can not start installation ?

more_horiz
the dell gives me an option to boot from usb , so i set it to do that, but it just comes up a blank black screen with a blinking cursor.. dont understand what is happening & why it isnt pulling up the installation...

more_horiz
It suppose like you have a Hard Drive issue.

Go to BIOS, and go to Boot Devices, do you see HDD anywhere ? Did BIOS recognize it ?

more_horiz
yes in BIOS it has Internal HDD.. I have tried booting from it as well & it gives me
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

The only time it doesnt give me that message is when i try to boot from USB , then it just gives me a blank black screen with blinking cursor.

The Dell has a scan that I ran that supposedly checked the laptop for problems & the only thing it had was a read cd rom issue.. but the hard drive it said was fine

more_horiz
Hi, please go again to BIOS and choose "Load Optimized Defaults", save and exit.

What happen now ?

more_horiz
There isnt a Load Optimized Default option in the BIOS...

more_horiz
I'll quote this from Dell Support.

Reset the BIOS using the System Setup:
* Restart the PC
* Watch the keyboard lights. When they flash, tap the F2 key
* The message, Entering Setup should appear
* Down arrow to Maintenance
* Choose Load Defaults
* Click Continue - Restore factory defaults
* Choose Save- Continue- OK

more_horiz
dont see a Maintenance....

more_horiz
When you start computer press CTRL+F11, you'll enter Dell Recovery Mode.

1. In Dell window choose Restore and press Enter. You can easy highlight Restore by pressing Tab.
2. When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press Tab to highlight Confirm and then press Enter.
3. The process should take about 8-10 minutes.
4. When you get message "The system recovery process was successful. ", press Finish.

Try to turn on your computer.

more_horiz
Burn A New Disc, And Then go into the BIOS And Select Boot From CD. Then After You have Installed It, Change The BIOS Setting to Boot From Harddrvie.
Hope This Helped.
-TM

more_horiz
iTechModHD wrote:
Burn A New Disc, And Then go into the BIOS And Select Boot From CD. Then After You have Installed It, Change The BIOS Setting to Boot From Harddrvie.
Hope This Helped.
-TM

Tm, you for note, user said:
the cd rom stopped working

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum