WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionPrograms on XP aren't opening up EmptyPrograms on XP aren't opening up

more_horiz
Okay lately my PC has been acting weird. Programs aren't opening when I click on them. Like firefox I click on it and it takes forever to load up and appear, same with every browser and program even task manager. I don't know whats doing on...I can't open any .exes. But my Anti virus is working still...

Okay I just noticed I have taskman.exe appearing in my list and guardgui.exe....which appeared after i ended Taskman.exe

descriptionPrograms on XP aren't opening up EmptyRe: Programs on XP aren't opening up

more_horiz
If you dont have a backup from before the problem you should run a system file check to verify and repair the OS files

go to run
type cmd
right click and run as admin
type SFC / SCANNOW

Let us know the results at the end

Ken J

descriptionPrograms on XP aren't opening up EmptyRe: Programs on XP aren't opening up

more_horiz
Hello,

guardgui.exe belongs to Avira Protection. Don't worry about it. For the broken association EXE Download this File http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip. then http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip And exact the files.

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. File > Import and select the File you have exacted.

Then reboot the System. Regarding the slowness follow what Zigzag suggested also reboot the System in Selective Startup http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Run-Selective-Startup-using-System-Configuration

Hope this helps !

............................................................................................

Regards,
Captain MVP
Programs on XP aren't opening up Gp_use10

It is considered
courteous to  post a reply if you have been able to resolve your problem, or received  an answer to your question.

more_horiz
I can't get CMD running. I rebooted and everything is still the same. The problem is getting worse. It's slowly going from serveral minutes to hours. it works in safe mode though. Everything works in safe mode. So it can't be hardware related.

more_horiz
Try running the Reg file in Safe Mode. Tne reboot in Normal Mode and see if that works. If not in Safe Mode go to Control Panel \ User Account \ Create new user and create Test user and see if it works fine in that User account.

- Captain

............................................................................................

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered
courteous to  post a reply if you have been able to resolve your problem, or received  an answer to your question.

more_horiz
Okay...everything is working after reboot. This isn't a virus guys is it? Or could it be hardware problems? My PC is pretty old and pretty junky. It's from 03 and was pretty bad even then.

more_horiz
Na .. I don't believe it's Virus ... But in case Download Malwarebytes and run a scan to be sure. Well i'm glad that things are working now.

Good Luck,
Captain

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
Don't leave. I don't know if it will act up again. What happens if it does? Also it doesn't explain TASKMAN.exe which has never appeared before.

more_horiz
TASKMAN.exe is Security Task Manager http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/taskman.exe.html in case of any issues just post back we will take care of it. Smile...

- Captain

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
Capt.Jack Sparrow wrote:
TASKMAN.exe is Security Task Manager http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/taskman.exe.html in case of any issues just post back we will take care of it. Smile...

- Captain

Only why would it display 2? I had my task manager open, and I see the process which is always taskmgr.exe. So why would I have TASKMAN.exe? And when I ended TASKMAN.exe it did not close down my task manager.

Also, it hasn't happened again. .exes are still working sooo maybe it just needed a reboot.

more_horiz
Hello,

It's not regular Task Manager it's different it called Security Task Manager http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/ Go to Add or Remove Programs and look for Security Task Manager if you see so uninstall it and reboot the System.

- Captain

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
I don't see it...nor did I ever install that. :/

more_horiz
Hello,

Download Process Explorer and once you get that installed it's like an advanced version of Task Manager. Look for TaskMan.exe and double click on it. That will give you from which location it's opening, signature etc.

- Captain

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
Didn't find it.

more_horiz
So is Taskman.exe is not longer in your Task Manager ?

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum