WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows XP shuts down after 2 to 5 mins, but not while in Safemode - Page 1 EmptyRe: Windows XP shuts down after 2 to 5 mins, but not while in Safemode

more_horiz
Marcel,

Sorry .. Lets go step by step:

First Download MemTest86+ from http://www.memtest86.com/ and burn it to a disk. Follow this guide for instructions in how to burn to disk http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/burnisofile.htm

............................................................................................

Regards,
Captain MVP
Windows XP shuts down after 2 to 5 mins, but not while in Safemode - Page 1 Gp_use10

It is considered
courteous to  post a reply if you have been able to resolve your problem, or received  an answer to your question.

descriptionWindows XP shuts down after 2 to 5 mins, but not while in Safemode - Page 1 EmptyRe: Windows XP shuts down after 2 to 5 mins, but not while in Safemode

more_horiz
I went to memtest86.com..... do I need to buy this disc?

more_horiz
Na... Just download it http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip then burn that to disk.

............................................................................................

Regards,
Captain MVP
Windows XP shuts down after 2 to 5 mins, but not while in Safemode - Page 1 Gp_use10

It is considered
courteous to  post a reply if you have been able to resolve your problem, or received  an answer to your question.

more_horiz
can I just download it to a flashdrive and then use that to run it on my laptop, or must it be a CD?

more_horiz
It is now 5:30PM here and I have homework to complete by midnight. I will play with it more after midnight and send you what I find.

Thank you

more_horiz
Flash drive will work follow the Method 1 in this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
OK, I changed my boot order to be USB first. It booted, but don't know if memtest ran. Of course it says to run it at least 7 times which can take hours, but my computer rebooted automatically as it always does.

more_horiz
Is the System painting Blue when you run the MemTest86+ ?

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
No,
I can't really tell if it is running. It says that it should autostart from my USB drive, but I don't really see anything happening. Windows just starts up. Can I boot in Safe mode and then try running it from the USB or does defeat the purpose?

more_horiz
If USB doesn't work then try burning to a Disk and boot it from there.

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
I appreciate you trying to help me, but you do not communicate in enough detail for my novice knowledge and skills... and I am now starting to feel the frustration. I do appreciate you trying. I will post it again.
Thanks, Marcel

more_horiz
marcusmax wrote:
I appreciate you trying to help me, but you do not communicate in enough detail for my novice knowledge and skills... and I am now starting to feel the frustration. I do appreciate you trying. I will post it again.
Thanks, Marcel

I apologize. In the article i have mentioned before have two options. One option to run the MemTest is using USB disk and the other option burning the MemTest86+ to a disk and running it from there. Since booting from USB fails you could Download the MemTest86+ ISO image and burn it to a disk. Then change the boot order to boot from CD in BIOS.
Then boot from the disk and run then rum the MemTest.

Regards,
Captain MVP

It is considered

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum