WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionStart menu inactive when USB stick inserted. - Page 2 EmptyRe: Start menu inactive when USB stick inserted.

more_horiz
Hi.

Still no joy.

Ran the scan. Closed command prompt after scan finished, inserted USB stick. The stick's LED flashed, paused, flashed again as if it had made a proper connection, then locked up when I selected the start menu. Reboot and it's the same story. It does seem to acting a little differently as I only ever got one set of LED flashes before from the USB stick.

descriptionStart menu inactive when USB stick inserted. - Page 2 EmptyRe: Start menu inactive when USB stick inserted.

more_horiz
Hi.

Please do the same for this and tell me how this goes:

CHKDSK F: /F

............................................................................................

I'm livin' life in the fast lane.

more_horiz
Hi.

The CHKDSK F: /F command wouldn't work through command prompt so I ran it through, my computer> right click on c: drive> properties> tools> error checking, with automayic fix selected. I hope this is the same.

Anyway, still no joy, problem still the same.

Thanks for your continued support.

more_horiz
Hi.

What is the drive letter of your USB drive?

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Hi.

USB drive letter is now D:

At some point I'm sure it was F:

In command prompt I typed in CHKDSK D: /F assumming this was the correct command.

With a USB stick plugged in command prompt won't open through start menu. Open command prompt then insert USB stick, enter above command then hit enter, the cursor just blinks on the next line and nothing happens.

Plug in an external hard drive, command prompt CHKDSK D: /F runs fine, but finds no errors.

No joy fault still with us.

I've tried this on both netbooks and they act the same apart from when the external HD is plugged in, both come up as Drive letter D:, but one comes up as a local drive as expected, the other comes up as a SD device.

Both netbooks have had blue screens again recently. Here are the dump files from each netbook should you want to compare them.

more_horiz
And the minidump from the other netbook.

more_horiz
Hi,

Have you tried a different flash drive, as I think the flash drive itself is dead.

more_horiz
Hi.

Yes, I've tried 3 different flash drives, none of them work in the netbooks. All of them work in my desktop and laptop.

Told you it was a real strange one. I'm completely baffled.

more_horiz
Hi.

I think I have figured out what is causing the BSOD, and the original flash drive issue.

Download WhoCrashed from here
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

more_horiz
Hi, the report.

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 07/09/2010 15:40:47 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: trufos.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804E13E2, 0xF7956518, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090710-01.dmp
file path: \??\C:\Program Files\Virgin Media\Security\BitDefender\trufos.sys
This file could not be located on your computer, we suggest that you search on its name with Google.
Click here to do a Google search on trufos.sys

On Sun 05/09/2010 21:57:17 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0x9D3B08B4, 0x0, 0x9D3B08B4, 0x0)
Error: Unknown
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090510-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 22/08/2010 10:12:14 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: trufos.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804E13E2, 0xF7A91638, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082210-01.dmp
file path: \??\C:\Program Files\Virgin Media\Security\BitDefender\trufos.sys
This file could not be located on your computer, we suggest that you search on its name with Google.
Click here to do a Google search on trufos.sys

On Thu 29/07/2010 07:46:38 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: mbr.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0xE3A24000, 0x1C, 0x1, 0xF285B41D)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072910-01.dmp

On Sun 25/07/2010 18:41:44 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0x9C8131D0, 0x2, 0x0, 0x9C8131D0)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072510-01.dmp
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 23/07/2010 20:17:32 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D3 (0xA2F52C28, 0x1C, 0x1, 0x804E5E07)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072310-01.dmp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

more_horiz
Hi.

Please uninstall BitDefender, and please tell me if it still occurs.

more_horiz
Hi.

In order to uninstall BitDefender, I've had uninstall my complete antivirus software as BitDefender seemed to be packaged inside it, plus it wouldn't delete or uninstall seperately. Just for reference I use my ISP's own software package, which is Virginmedia (UK).

The good news is, it worked. Deleted from both netbooks and both up and running.

Just out of interest I reloaded the antivirus software back onto one of them, and the problem returned.

The Netbooks are Acer Aspire Ones should anyone else using Virginmedia's own antivirus software and have the same problem.

I'll give Acer and Virgimedia both an email with the details of the problems I've had.

Many, many thanks for your help, you are a star.

Kind regards,
Chris Thank You!

more_horiz
You're welcome, glad to help. Smile...

The issue was the two anti-virus's drivers were conflicting resulting in a BSOD, BitDefender has a removal tool located here: http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/BitDefender_Uninstall_Tool.exe

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum