WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionHearing advertisements when no browser window is open - Page 1 EmptyRe: Hearing advertisements when no browser window is open

more_horiz
Here is my log from the ESET scan:

ESETSmartInstaller@High as downloader log:
all ok
# version=7
# OnlineScannerApp.exe=1.0.0.1
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6211
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=4391fe0e3cc2d34b8f9468775e735226
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# archives_checked=false
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=false
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2010-07-21 07:42:19
# local_time=2010-07-21 02:42:19 (-0600, Central Daylight Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=6.0.6002 NT Service Pack 2
# compatibility_mode=1024 16777215 100 0 0 0 0 0
# compatibility_mode=3589 16777213 80 100 6399238 15502350 0 0
# compatibility_mode=5892 16776637 100 100 0 116300331 0 0
# compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 0 0 0 0
# scanned=188486
# found=2
# cleaned=2
# scan_time=5335
C:\Users\Janet\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\12\66e88a8c-65258137 a variant of Win32/TrojanDownloader.Unruy.CA trojan (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\Users\Janet\Documents\Program Shortcuts & Installation\Foxy.1.9.7.TC.Setup.exe probably a variant of Win32/Agent trojan (deleted - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C

descriptionHearing advertisements when no browser window is open - Page 1 EmptyRe: Hearing advertisements when no browser window is open

more_horiz
Hear anymore advertisements?

more_horiz
As of now, I haven't heard any advertisements for awhile, though I will let you know if they occur again. However, I did receive an error message stating that "Internet Explorer stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available." There was also a message about Internet Explorer being shut off by Data Execution Prevention (DEP). I did not have Internet Explorer open at the time of these messages, since I only use Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

When opening the Task Manager, I've also noticed several processes named "iexpore.exe" running. Again, I do not have Internet Explorer open. What can I do to fix these issues? Thanks!

more_horiz
I'm hearing advertisements again. Any ideas what we can try next? Thanks for your help!

more_horiz
Download MBRCheck to your desktop.
  • Double click MBRCheck.exe to run (Vista and Windows 7 users, right click and select Run as Administrator).
  • It will show a black screen with some data on it.
  • A report called MBRcheckxxxx.txt will be on your desktop
  • Open this report and post its content in your next reply.

more_horiz
Here is the MBRCheck report:

MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

(c) 2010, AD

\\.\C: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0

\\.\D: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0

Size Device Name MBR Status

--------------------------------------------

232 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive0 Known-bad MBR code detected (Whistler / Black Internet)!

Found non-standard or infected MBR.

Enter 'Y' and hit ENTER for more options, or 'N' to exit:

more_horiz
Run MBRCheck.exe
  • Run MBRCheck.exe
  • Wait until you see the following line: Enter 'Y' and hit ENTER for more options, or 'N' to exit:
  • Please push the 'Y' key and then press Enter
  • When program ask you Enter your choice: enter 2 and press the Enter key
  • Now the program will ask you "Enter the physical disk number to fix (0-99, -1 to cancel):"
  • Enter 0 and press the Enter key.
  • The program will show Available MBR codes:, followed by a list of operating systems. Please enter 1 for Windows XP, and then press Enter.
  • When asked Do you want to fix the MBR code? type in YES and press enter
  • Restart your PC.

Then, post a new MBRCheck log.

more_horiz
I just wanted to make sure -- when it gives a list of operating systems under available MBR codes, I should choose Windows XP (1), even though the operating system I am using is Windows Vista?

more_horiz
You're right. Use the one for Vista. My bad. Goofy

more_horiz
Haha, that's okay :smile2: Here is my new MBRCheck log:

MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

(c) 2010, AD

\\.\C: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0

\\.\D: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0

Size Device Name MBR Status

--------------------------------------------

232 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive0 Windows Vista MBR code detected

Done! Press ENTER to exit...

more_horiz
How is your computer running now?

Time to clean up?

more_horiz
My computer seems to be back to normal now. No audio advertisements or iexplorer.exe running anymore. What a relief! I'll let you know if any issues do arise again. I guess it's clean up time! Thanks for your help!

more_horiz
Clean up System Restore

Now, to get you off to a clean start, we will be creating a new Restore Point, then clearing the old ones to make sure you do not get reinfected, in case you need to "restore back."

To manually create a new Restore Point

• Go to Control Panel and select System and Maintenance
  • Select System
  • On the left select Advance System Settings and accept the warning if you get one
  • Select System Protection Tab
  • Select Create at the bottom
  • Type in a name i.e. Clean
  • Select Create
Now we can purge the infected ones
  • Go back to the System and Maintenance page
  • Select Performance Information and Tools
  • On the left select Open Disk Cleanup
  • Select Files from all users and accept the warning if you get one
  • In the drop down box select your main drive i.e. C
  • For a few moments the system will make some calculations
  • Select the More Options tab
  • In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
  • Select Delete on the pop up
  • Select OK
  • Select Delete

Run OTC to remove our tools

To remove all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created, please do the following:
Please download OTC.exe by OldTimer:
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click OTC.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes.

Note: If any tool, file or folder (belonging to the program we have used) hasn't been deleted, please delete it manually.

Purge old temporary files

Please download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start
    button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp
    files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute
    or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Security Check

Please download Security Check by screen317 from SpywareInfoforum.org or Changelog.fr.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Tell me in your next reply, if you have completed these tasks:
  • Cleaned System Restore
  • Ran OTC
  • Ran TFC
  • Ran Security Check

Also, let me know how your computer is running, and don't forget to post the contents of the Security Check log.

more_horiz
Hi, my computer seems to be running fine now. I cleaned System Restore, ran OTC, ran TFC, and ran Security Check. Here is the Security Check log:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.4
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (UAC is disabled!)
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Disabled!
ESET Online Scanner v3
McAfee Security Scan Plus
Antivirus up to date!
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Java(TM) 6 Update 20
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6
Adobe Flash Player 10.1.53.64
Adobe Reader 9.3.3
````````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

Norton ccSvcHst.exe
````````````````````````````````
DNS Vulnerability Check:

GREAT! (Not vulnerable to DNS cache poisoning)

``````````End of Log````````````

more_horiz
Please read the following information that I have provided, which will help you prevent malicious software in the future. Please keep in mind, malware is a continuous danger on the Internet. It is highly important to stay safe while browsing, to prevent re-infection.

Software recommendations

Firewall

• Tallemu Online Armor: the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version.
  • Comodo Firewall: the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version. The optional security suite enhances the firewall by 40% increase. If you would like to install the suite that includes antivirus, then remove your old antivirus first.
  • PC Tools Firewall Plus: free and excellent firewall.

AntiSpyware

• SpywareBlaster
    SpywareBlaster is a program that prevents spyware from installing on your computer. A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster may be found here.
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy is a spyware and adware removal program. It also has realtime protection, TeaTimer to help safeguard your computer against spyware. (The link for Spybot - Search & Destroy contains a tutorial that will help you download, install, and begin using Spybot).

NOTE: Please keep ALL of these programs up-to-date and run them whenever you suspect a problem to prevent malware problems.

Resident Protection help
A number of programs have resident protection and it is a good idea to run the resident protection of one of each type of program to maintain protection. However, it is important to run only one resident program of each type since they can conflict and become less effective. That means only one antivirus, firewall, and scanning anti-spyware program at a time. Passive protectors such as SpywareBlaster can be run with any of them.

Securing your computer

• Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • hpHosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. This prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1, which is your local computer's loopback address, meaning it will be difficult to infect your computer in the future.

Please consider using an alternate browser
Mozilla's Firefox browser is a very good alternative. In addition to being generally more secure than Internet Explorer, it has a very good built-in popup blocker and add-ons, like NoScript, can make it even more secure. Opera is another good option.

If you are interested:

See this page for more info about malware and prevention.

Thank you for choosing GeekPolice. Please see this page if you would like to leave feedback or contribute to our site. Do you have any more questions?

more_horiz
Hi, thank you so much for your help in getting rid of the audio advertisements running on my computer. After performing all the tasks you previously requested, I have recently noticed another issue with my computer. When I download a file from the internet (using Firefox as browser), the file appears to download normally and will show up momentarily in the saved location. However, the file eventually disappears from that location (such as Desktop), and searching for the file name in Vista brings me to a "Recent" folder showing an icon of the file, but it tells me that the file can no longer be found or opened. Do you think this is caused by a virus/malware? Or could it be caused by my antivirus programs? What can I do to fix this? Any help will be appreciated! :smile2:

more_horiz
Maybe the antivirus program.

Are you trying to download bad software, or just files in general?

more_horiz
Are you still with us?

Please reply and let us know the progress!

more_horiz
(Gunsmoke) Evil or enraged Now HELLP MEEEEEE!!!!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum