WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptioncannot access a folder Emptycannot access a folder

more_horiz
I’m running XP, The hard disk on my new system has four partitions, all NTFS, and each of them has the folder System Volume Information. When I click them in Windows Explorer I’m told ‘Access denied.’ This didn’t happen on my old system and I get fidgety when my machine gets difficult, even if it’s not important.

I’m the only user and therefore have supervisor rights – I think! Is there a setting that’s missing?

descriptioncannot access a folder EmptyRe: cannot access a folder

more_horiz
Would I be correct in assuming your last system was running FAT32 partitions?

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

cannot access a folder Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
yes.....

more_horiz
NTFS introduces file protection and key system folders like System Volume Information are therefore locked by default. This folder contains information about your System Restore points, which is why it’s a good idea to leave well alone.

If, however, you’d like to see what’s inside, you can do so by tweaking the file permissions for this folder.

Click Start -> Run, type cmd and press [Return]. Now type the following, pressing [Return] to gain access to the folder and replace Username with your username (note that if your username contains spaces – for example, Michael Carter – then you need to enclose it in double quotation marks: “Michael Carter”):

cacls “c:\System Volume Information” /E /G Username:F

If you want to reset the permissions, just type the following, again replacing Username with your own username:

cacls “c:\System Volume Information” /E /R Username

Windows XP Professional users can gain access by right-click the System Volume Information folder and choosing Properties (or Sharing and Security if you’re on a domain). Click the Add button and enter your username before clicking OK twice. You should now have access.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

cannot access a folder Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum