WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionthumbdrive as paging file Emptythumbdrive as paging file

more_horiz
Is it possible to use a USB storage drive like my thumbdrive for my paging file? I run my pc on a 0 RAID configuration with 1GB of dual channel twinx XMS RAM and I have noticed one or two 3GB USB high-speed key drives.

Would one work as a dedicated paging file? Would it be quick enough and would it work with 0 RAID?

descriptionthumbdrive as paging file EmptyRe: thumbdrive as paging file

more_horiz
The short answer is no.

USB drives are no match for internal hard drives in terms of performance, so there’s nothing to be gained. However, there is plenty to be lost in attempting to use a USB key in this way.

One problem that paging files suffer from is that they fragment over time. XP is far more efficient at managing the paging file compared to earlier versions of Windows, but it will still eventually fragment on a well-used drive. The general advice is that, if you’re determined to move the paging file to another drive, you should choose the least-used partition on the fastest drive. With this in mind you may want to consider, space permitting, creating a dedicated partition on which only your paging file is stored. It wouldn’t need to be a large partition, 5GB should be ample, and you might find performance improving slightly.

On the whole, however, there’s not an awful lot to be gained by doing so.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

thumbdrive as paging file Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
Sorry for the so very late reply, thank you for your help man!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum