WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionGeneral Antivirus Removal EmptyGeneral Antivirus Removal

more_horiz
My wife picked up the General Antivirus bug on her Dell Latitude Laptop running Windows XP/SP3. I did a web search to find methods to remove it and what I found isn't working. All of the posts were from early-to-mid 2009, so I'm wondering if the virus has been updated to plug some of the previous holes. When I boot-up in Safe Mode with Networking, I am able to download programs from the Internet to the Desktop, but I can't open them. I tried a couple (Malwarebytles for one) and had the same result with all of them (don't run). I also found step-by-step instructions for deleting the relevant files and registry entries, but I'm not able to access the "Run" window to get to the Registry Editor. It has also prevented access to the User Profiles and apparently changed the password to the Administrator profile as I tried booting up using my XP CD-ROM and it won't allow me to access the Registry menu without the Administrator's password, which isn't working. The laptop is fairly new, so I did consider just reinstalling Windows XP, but haven't tried that yet. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

descriptionGeneral Antivirus Removal EmptyRe: General Antivirus Removal

more_horiz
Download OTL by OldTimer to your Desktop.

• Close all windows and double click OTL.exe
  • Click Run Scan and let the program run uninterrupted
  • It will produce two logs for you, one will pop up - OTL.txt, the other will be saved on your Desktop - Extras.txt. Post both logs in this thread.
  • You may need to use two posts to get it all.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
General Antivirus Removal DXwU4
General Antivirus Removal VvYDg

more_horiz
Thanks for your response. I attempted to download and run the OTL.exe file as you recommended. I was able to successfully download it to my desktop, however, I was not able to run it (same applied to any new downloads that I tried to run). I was also unable to run regedit to try to clean the registry. The malware would also not allow me to delete the .dll files associated with it. As a result, I ended up doing a complete reload of Windows XP yesterday. Despite the time involved, it appears to be successful at this point. I was fairly lucky that the laptop was relatively new and had limited files on it. Thanks again for your help.

more_horiz
Okay, thanks for notifying me.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
General Antivirus Removal DXwU4
General Antivirus Removal VvYDg

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum