WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionos-guard pro virus Emptyos-guard pro virus

more_horiz
This morning I became a victim of this virus. Same symptoms as I've read in many posts on this website. I noticed the guidance that "each computer is unique", so rather than trying to follow the existing threads I have started my own. Thanks in advance for your help!

descriptionos-guard pro virus EmptyRe: os-guard pro virus

more_horiz
Please download the current version of HijackThis from HERE

• Double click and run the installer.
  • It will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\hijackthis.exe
  • After installing, you should get the user agreement, press accept and Hijack This will run.
  • Select Do a system scan and save a log file. This will open a notepad file of everything Hijack This found, copy and paste it back here.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
I am using a second computer to access the Internet as I cannot do so with the infected one. So I cannot download the current version of HijackThis as you suggest above.

What next?

more_horiz
Can you use a USB device to transfer the file across?

............................................................................................

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
Belahzur, I tried the USB route. When I got it onto the infected computer and tried to run the program the virus blocked it.

How do I get around this?

more_horiz
It blocked the installer? or was it able to install fine, then blocked the program from running?

Either way, lets try this instead. This next program doesn't need to install, just download and run. (also possible to run it straight from USB)

Download OTL by OldTimer to your Desktop.

• Close all windows and double click OTL.exe
  • Click Run Scan and let the program run uninterrupted
  • It will produce two logs for you, one will pop up - OTL.txt, the other will be saved on your Desktop - Extras.txt. Post both logs in this thread.
  • You may need to use two posts to get it all.

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
It allowed me to install, it blocked the program from running.

I tried to get the OTL program you referenced via my second computer (which belongs to my employer), but my employer's software has blocked it from downloading...so that route doesn't work either.

more_horiz
Can you ask your employer if you/he can turn that off/disable it for a few hours? cause were gonna need some way of getting tools onto your infected machine.

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
no, that's not going to happen. Is there any way to disable the os-guardpro virus long enough so the Hijack This software that I was able to download can run and work?

more_horiz
You could try safe mode.

We can also try using mcsonfig to disable it from startup, but we'll leave that till after we try Safe Mode first.

Please do the following in Safe Mode with Networking: as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press your Enter key.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.) Once in the start up menu, select "Safe Mode with Networking", then try Hijack This.

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
I found a thread on Norton's website where people talk about defeating this with a process that starts with the following step. I'm willing to try this - but where do I start with the "%ProgramFiles%" string of commands?

Step 1: Kill the OSGuard Pro Processes

%ProgramFiles%\Antivirus System PRO\Antivirussystempro.exe
%ProgramFiles%\Antivirus System PRO\uninstall.exe
c:\WINDOWS\sysguard.exe

more_horiz
%ProgramFiles% is a system variable, pointing towards C:\Program Files

The folder Antivirus System PRO might not be the correct, Antivirus System PRO is a different product.

Can you use Notepad? we can try a batch script and pick out key locations where this might be hiding.

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
yes, Notepad is working. tell me how to proceed!

more_horiz
You may need to transfer this across via USB too, because this is a difficult script to type out.

• Now open a new notepad file.
  • Input this into the notepad file:

regedit /e peek1.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
    regedit /e peek2.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
    type peek1.txt >> look.txt
    type peek2.txt >> look.txt
    del peek*.txt
    dir "C:\Program Files" >> look.txt
    start notepad look.txt

• Save this as look.bat, save it to your desktop.
  • Double click look.bat to run it.
  • Copy and paste the report back here.

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
sorry to keep you waiting, I had to type it into Notepad rather than just copying it and pasting it over via USB because the virus defeated that also.

I typed it in, saved it as you explained, and double clicked to run it. The message from the Virus (I think it's an evil thing, messing with me!) is "The file cmd.exe is infected" - just like everything else!

Can we do what you're suggesting in your Notepad advice thru Safe Mode? The commands you're listing above look very much like what I'm seeing in the Norton website thread (the one that had the AntiVirus System PRO reference in the string above). Can we use Safe Mode to find the evil code?

more_horiz
Yeah, give Safe Mode with networking, so you have internet access.

My script just gets exports of the 2 run keys under each hive, then has a look inside the Program Files folder.

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
o-k, I'm now in safe mode on the infected computer...what's next?

more_horiz
do I run the look.bat file now?

more_horiz
are you still there???

descriptionos-guard pro virus Emptycurrent issue

more_horiz
I'm having the exact same problem today as well. It's malware, by a website called os-guardpro2010.com. They've attached the spyware to all the system start up files. I've tried everything possible, including a malware scan in safe mode. I'm stuck too.

more_horiz
Yeah, still here, just had to go offline, went to get something to eat. Run the bat file, and post the log when done. Smile...

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
I fixed it!!!!

I went into safe mode with networking, downloaded spybot seek & destroy. It detected the files and fixed the problem. I then rebooted and all is back to normal!

more_horiz
Belahzur, I ran the Malware program in safe mode. It detected 9 problem files, which I deleted, and when I rebooted everything's working fine. I saved a log file of the Malware findings...do you wish to have it for reference, or not?

Thanks for all of your help!

more_horiz
Yes please, post the log.

If the log shows traced of another infection, then we'll need to go deeper.

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
Here's the log. I didn't see how to simply attach a file, so I just went ahead and copied it into this response.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database version: 3289
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

12/18/2009 5:09:06 PM
mbam-log-2009-12-18 (17-09-01).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|F:\|)
Objects scanned: 379687
Time elapsed: 59 minute(s), 19 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AvScan (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FunWebProducts (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\akobhmrq (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\akobhmrq (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\kjkdcm\abvhsysguard.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
F:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> No action taken.

more_horiz
Did you remove what it found there? says no action taken. One more scan, then I think were done.

• Please download DDS by sUBs to your Desktop (Important!!) from one of these locations:
    Link 1
    Link 2
  • Double click DDS.scr to run.
  • When complete, two logs will open. Save both of the report to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste BOTH LOGS back here, use more than one post if needed.

os-guard pro virus DXwU4
os-guard pro virus VvYDg

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum