WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionDual boot error EmptyDual boot error

more_horiz
HEy,

I currently have dual boot setup with windows 7 and XP

But now for some reason when I try to boot into XP I get a error

FILE: \ntldr

any ideas on how I could fix this?

Thanks

............................................................................................

Main System Spec: Intel Quad Q9550 (OC to 3.4Ghz), Gigabyte Ga-ep45-ud3l, 4gb kingston hyperX @ 1066mhz, Corsair tx 650, Nvidia 8600GT.

Dual boot error Siggye

descriptionDual boot error EmptyRe: Dual boot error

more_horiz
Check this article to find out info on how to install and use the recovery console for Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

If you already have the recovery console, or got it installed using the above tutorial, then do the following:

Using the Recovery Console, copy the Ntldr file from the Windows XP CD-ROM to the root directory of the current active partition. Follow these steps:
1. Start your computer by using the Windows XP Setup floppy disks or by using the Windows XP CD-ROM.
2. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10, or press R to repair.
3. Press C to start the Recovery Console.
4. Copy the Ntldr file from the Windows XP CD-ROM to the root of your system partition by using the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

1. Type cd .. to go to the root of drive C. (Note the space)
2. Type the letter of the CD-ROM drive
3. Type cd i386 to change into the right directory
4. Type Copy ntldr c:
5. Type Exit

If this does not work, then do the following: To replace the boot sector, at the Recovery Console command prompt, type: fixboot [drive:]

If you do not specify a drive letter, the Recovery Console replaces the boot sector of the system volume. If you need to replace the boot sector of a volume that is not the system volume, then you must specify the appropriate drive letter."

See if this works.

more_horiz
cheers but how can i install the recovery console if i cant boot into XP?

............................................................................................

Main System Spec: Intel Quad Q9550 (OC to 3.4Ghz), Gigabyte Ga-ep45-ud3l, 4gb kingston hyperX @ 1066mhz, Corsair tx 650, Nvidia 8600GT.

Dual boot error Siggye

more_horiz
Install it from the Windows XP cd. Do you have a cd?

This might help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994/

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum