WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionI cannot update to windows xp service pack 3 EmptyI cannot update to windows xp service pack 3

more_horiz
Each time I try to update I get " The file c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys is open or in use by another application. I'm not as literate as I would like to be with computers, but I can dable in the registry without screwing it up. However can someone help me with how to correct this problem?

descriptionI cannot update to windows xp service pack 3 EmptyRe: I cannot update to windows xp service pack 3

more_horiz
Hello,

Navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers\ rename atapi.sys to atapi1.sys and try installing SP3 again. Once you've installed SP3, rename atapi1.sys back to atapi.sys.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

I cannot update to windows xp service pack 3 Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionI cannot update to windows xp service pack 3 EmptyRe: I cannot update to windows xp service pack 3

more_horiz
Thanks, for your info. However, I get the same message " cannot rename atapi: It is being used by another person or program"

more_horiz
Hello,

Please boot into safe mode and try to install SP3.

- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, keep tapping F8.
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
- Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
-When you are at the logon prompt, log in as the same user that you had performed the previous steps as.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Cannot log on in safe mode. I can get to the screen however when I choose the safe mode the system keeps reverting back to that same screen.

more_horiz
Hello,

Try this to boot into safe mode:

• 1. Got to your Start menu and select RunĀ option.
  • 2. Type in msconfig command and click OK. The System Configuration Utility program will then open.
  • 3. Select the BOOT.INI tab located at the top of the System Configuration Utility window.
  • 4. Check the box labeled /SAFEBOOT and click OK.
  • 5. When asked if you prefer to restart the PC immediately, or Exit Without Restart, choose to restart the computer manually.
  • 6. Your computer will automatically boot into Windows XP Safe Mode when you will restart it.
  • 7. When you are done with Safe Mode, go to the Start menu again and select Run option. Type in msconfig
  • and click OK.
  • 8. Select the Normal Startup radio button and click OK.
  • 9. When asked if you prefer to restart the PC immediately, or Exit Without Restart, choose to restart the computer manually.
  • 10. Your computer will boot into Normal mode the next time you switch it on.

more_horiz
Thanks for the information. However, now it did not let me log on in safe mode. In addition, now a cannot get off the safe mode screen or get back to The System Configuration Utility program to start normally.

more_horiz
System is in continuous loop. Cannot exit from safe mode screen.

more_horiz
Hello,

Your system has corrupted Windows files. Do you have your Windows CD?

more_horiz
No I don't have the Windows XP Professional Install CD. But what is the procedure when I get it. Or is there something different that I can do? "Thanks"

more_horiz
Hello,

We need to perform a repair of your OS. What is the brand of your computer?

more_horiz
The brand of my computer is Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop.

more_horiz
Hello,

At the Dell logo, hold the Ctrl key and press the F11 key simultaneously.
The Dell PC Restore screen will come up, select repair.

more_horiz
The same thing happens when I press the Ctrl and the f11 keys simultaneously. It loops back to the safe mode screen.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum