WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionComputer Won't Boot To Any mode EmptyComputer Won't Boot To Any mode

more_horiz
Hey.
It's me. Yay. okay. So I was on here yesterday, finding out how to get System Antivirus Pro off my other computer, and after about an hour A member told me what to do. I updated Mbam, did a scan, saved a logfile, then was prompted to reestart my computer. (Luckily, I already posted the logfile to the topic.) Then, as it loaded, it flashed the Xp screen with the loading bar, for about half a second, then went black. Moments later, it takes me to the Menu where It counts down from 25, and where you choose safe mode, and the like. However, I've tried running in ALL the modes, safe, safe with networking, safe with command prompt, last good config, and the normal startup, to no avail.

It really Pi--es me off that I finally found somewhere that offers help,, and this happens. No Worries, I don't blame you guys or anything, And I know it's not mbam or HijackThis, because i've used them for awhile.

So. Any Ideas? Let me think And No, I don't have my Xp disk, however I'm in the process of looking for my old windows 98 Disk. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

............................................................................................

Computer Won't Boot To Any mode JB13J

descriptionComputer Won't Boot To Any mode EmptyRe: Computer Won't Boot To Any mode

more_horiz
Are you able to burn some files to CD ? I'll try to help you, but we need to get one Blank Cd and ImageBurn software.

............................................................................................

Computer Won't Boot To Any mode V45u80

descriptionComputer Won't Boot To Any mode EmptyRe: Computer Won't Boot To Any mode

more_horiz
On the computer that I'm currently using? Yes, I should be able to. And I'm sure I can find a blank cd somewhere. I have DVDRW's, that hold 4.7 gigs each, if those would suffice.

Last edited by Aprius on 11th November 2009, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelled a word wrong, that could cause confusion.)

more_horiz

• Download Windows Recovery Console from here (rc.iso).
  • Download and install free ImgBurn from here
  • Open Imgburn software and burn rc.iso to a CD.
  • Restart your PC and insert CD.
  • When you receive the message "press any key to boot from cd.." , press any button on the keyboard.
  • When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below:

1. To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
  2. To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
  3. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

• Choose 2nd, press R on your keyboard.
  • You will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (Typically number 1) and press Enter.
  • If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit Enter.
Now, we have to type some commands manually so be careful.

• Type command cd.. till you get to root category, i mean - C: not C:\WINDOWS
  • Now that we are at C: we can begin the process of repairing the operating system.
Computer Won't Boot To Any mode Xp_src10

• Please type next three commands in this step :
ATTRIB -H C:\\BOOT.INI
ATTRIB -R C:\\BOOT.INI
ATTRIB -S C:\\BOOT.INI

• It should look like this
Computer Won't Boot To Any mode Xp_src11

• Now that we’ve modified the attributes for the BOOT.INI file, it’s up for deletion.
  • Type next command
DEL BOOT.INI

Computer Won't Boot To Any mode Xp_src12

• Now for the most important step of our process, the BOOTCFG /REBUILD command which recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.
  • It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:
  • First, every Windows XP owner must use /FASTDETECT
  • Secondly, if you are the owner of a CPU featuring Intel’s XD or AMD’s NX buffer overflow protection, you must also use /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
  • For the "Enter Load Identifier" portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed. If, for example, you are using Windows XP Home, you could type "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition".
Computer Won't Boot To Any mode Xp_src13

• Now, just type CheckDisc command
CHKDSK /R /F

• It could take 30 minutes on slower
    computers.
And the last step..

• Simply type FIXBOOT and press Enter.
  • When the Windows Recovery Console asks you if you are "Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ?" just hit Y then Enter.
Now, just restart your PC with command EXIT.

To be sure problem won't happen again by malware, please read THIS post, and open new topic in Virus,Spyware & Malware Removal category with your HijackThis log file.

more_horiz
Okay, I'll have my cd tomorrow, My internet will be down for a little. I'll do what you've said when I get the chance, Thanks.

more_horiz
Wait, do I literally type *First steps* COMMAND CD or what? I'm not a typical Command Prompt User. Sorry, Haha.

"type command cd.. till you get to root category..."

I looked at that screenshot, and it says C:\WINDOWS>CD, and you said NOT to type C:\WINDOWS. I haven't tried this yet, for fear I'll screw up, and I figure it's not worth acting like I know what I'm doing.

more_horiz
Just type cd.. without any prefix.

It's like this, your in Windows\system32 folder.
C:\WINDOWS\system32

Now, it you type cd.. and hit Enter - you'll get to
C:\WINDOWS\

If you type it one more.
C:\

That's root folder Smile...

more_horiz
Okay. Thanks mate. I'll copy the directions and post if I have any problems. And- Kudos on replying fast.

:smile2:

more_horiz
tried for a bit to get the pass, got it. BUT. I type cd.. and it says invalid command. : / wont progress till you respond, j.i.c lol

more_horiz
You have to put two dots Big Grin cd..

more_horiz
CHKDSK /R /F ? I know, lol. my 2nd attempt, Also, I typed /fastdetect where I should, but it didn't do anything when i hit enter.

more_horiz
Oh, and I tried CHKDSK /R /F . Again, is this usual? o.o *EDIT EDIT EDIT* I GOT an error stating that the CHKDSK /R /F Was an invalid.. yeah. : /

more_horiz
Is this the damage from the false positive in MBAM?

If so, we can direct you to the MBAM helpdesk, they have more of an idea of what happened and the best way to fix it. Smile...

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Computer Won't Boot To Any mode DXwU4
Computer Won't Boot To Any mode VvYDg

more_horiz
Oh, I've been told it might be., but I was just hoping I could get this settled here. o.o If not, that's okay. Please (puppy eyes)

more_horiz
Heh, I didn't know about this until you did, I didn't catch on until I got more than one person getting the same thing, then went to sniff this out and found what caused it.

See here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30371&st=0&p=156300&#entry156300

I would recommend contacting the helpdesk.

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Computer Won't Boot To Any mode DXwU4
Computer Won't Boot To Any mode VvYDg

more_horiz
Actually, no need. It's apparently CHKDSK /R/F , without a space between r and f, so it's doing that now. Thanks for all the help guy's, I'll be making a donation shortly, probably not today, but maybe. ^^ I really appreciate the patience and help, haha.

more_horiz
If my guide didn't help you, follow what Belahzur said Smile...

more_horiz
No, it helped!Haha. It's just I think i misread something. i'm not a hardware expert, More like, as my name says, a newbie. :p But yeah man. Thanks for the help. Big Grin Thank You!

more_horiz
I'm glad to hear that Computer Won't Boot To Any mode 47140

more_horiz
Big Grin Well I'm sure there's other people to help, so i'll let you get to that.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum