WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWin32/Virut.gen!0 EmptyWin32/Virut.gen!0

more_horiz
Hello, Yesterday I got a virus on my Acer Aspire One, running Windows Vista Home Premium, as I have seen it is a Virut.gen!0. My anti-virus program keeps picking it up and cleaning it, but it doesn't seem to go away. I was reading I might have to reinstall Windows and format my HD, but with an Acer Aspire One I don't have a disk drive, and my only External hard drive has a lot of important stuff on it that I can't risk getting infected.

Anything would help right now, thanks.

descriptionWin32/Virut.gen!0 EmptyRe: Win32/Virut.gen!0

more_horiz
Please download the current version of HijackThis from HERE

• Double click and run the installer.
  • It will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\hijackthis.exe
  • After installing, you should get the user agreement, press accept and Hijack This will run.
  • Select Do a system scan and save a log file. This will open a notepad file of everything Hijack This found, copy and paste it back here.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Win32/Virut.gen!0 DXwU4
Win32/Virut.gen!0 VvYDg

more_horiz
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:55:07 PM, on 10/8/2009
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16386)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Taskmgr.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=Userinit.exe,
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eRecoveryService] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ÑN@] ÑN@
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: kedawubo.dll
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 954 bytes

That's all I got, but I'm guessing that's not all I should have? I booted in safe mode with network support. I've been looking for a way to restore my computer, the virus has made it impossible to do a system restore with the Acer eRecovery agent. My command prompt says it cannot be found. I can't see anything on my desktop, in a normal boot up I can't even open Task Manager to open my documents or anything. I think the computer is basically screwed unless there is a possible way to restore it.

If you know of any way I can do a system restore that would be great.

more_horiz
Hmm, that log does look a little short there, looks like Virut maybe there, but we'll see.

Please download and run this tool.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Post the contents of the MBAM Log.

............................................................................................

Win32/Virut.gen!0 DXwU4
Win32/Virut.gen!0 VvYDg

more_horiz
This is what the log presented -

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2927
Windows 6.0.6000 (Safe Mode)

10/8/2009 7:07:06 PM
mbam-log-2009-10-08 (19-07-06).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 69889
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 20 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 9
Registry Values Infected: 11
Registry Data Items Infected: 4
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 45

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\Windows\System32\mulirowo.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\btwsrv (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\btwsrv (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\btwsrv (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\certpropsvc (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\certpropsvc (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\certpropsvc (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\cmd.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\regedit.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\isasdk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\BuildW (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\FirstInstallFlag (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\guid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\i (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\uid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\Ulrn (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\Update (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\UpdateNew (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\mBt (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\udfa (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\mfa (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\activedesktop\NoChangingWallpaper (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSetActiveDesktop (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\Protection System (Rogue.ProtectionSystem) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Windows\System32\mulirowo.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\6604207.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\wsqefu.exe (Trojan.FakeInit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\xcnh.exe (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\AVR09.exe (Rogue.AdvancedVirusRemover) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\bbnohm.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\BtwSrv.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\calc.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\CertPv32.dll (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\isasdk.sys (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\kedawubo.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\likebowa.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\lsm32.sys (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\msxm192z.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\t4m0_164855768802.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\t4m0_394814771410.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\t4m0_747605828201.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\tmp0_194825579288.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\tmp0_325109607486.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\tmp0_350546318415.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\tmp0_363310618156.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\tmp0_460067103166.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\tmp0_48584472478.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\tmp0_578473131296.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\tmp0_633946591371.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\tmp0_82511476186.bk (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\VRT3EE4.tmp (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\VRT8C48.tmp (Malware.Tool) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Temp\VRTAB4D.tmp (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Family\Local Settings\Temp\142xxx.dll (Spyware.Passwords) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Family\Local Settings\Temp\rundll32.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Family\Local Settings\Temp\zz43brm.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\certstore.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\critical_warning.html (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\FInstall.sys (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Family\Local Settings\Temp\nsrbgxod.bak (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Family\Local Settings\Temp\services.exe (Password.Stealer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Family\Local Settings\Temp\taskmgr.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Family\Local Settings\Temp\winlogon.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\sc.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Tasks\{7B02EF0B-A410-4938-8480-9BA26420A627}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Tasks\{BB65B0FB-5712-401b-B616-E69AC55E2757}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\wliup.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Tasks\Acrobat Update.job (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\yrsewrkr.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

more_horiz
Hello.
MBAM confirms Virut.

I'm afraid I have bad news.

Your system is infected with a polymorphic file infector called Virut. Virut is capable of infecting all the machine's executable files (.exe) and screensaver files (.scr). However, the problem is that the virus has a number of bugs in its code, and as a result, it may misinfect a proportion of executable files and therefore, the files are corrupted beyond repair. As of now, security experts suggest that a format and clean install, or destructive recovery if you have an OEM recovery partition, is the best way to clean the infection and it is the best and safest way to return the machine to its normal working state.

Backup all your documents and important items (personal data, work documents, etc) only. DO NOT backup any executable files (softwares) and screensavers (*.scr). It attempts to infect any accessed .exe or .scr files by appending itself to the executable.

Also, avoid backing up compressed files (zip/cab/rar) files that have .exe or .scr files inside them. Virut can penetrate and infect .exe files inside compressed files too.

Recent variants also modify htm, html, asp and php files.

Do not back up to another machine, as it may become compromised. Burn to DVD/CD, or to an external drive which has nothing else on it, and which you can format should it happen to become infected from the backups.

For more information, please see Here

Instructions how to format and reinstall Windows can be found Here

Win32/Virut.gen!0 DXwU4
Win32/Virut.gen!0 VvYDg

more_horiz
Thank you, I have nothing on this machine I need to backup, but I also do NOT have a disk drive. Thank you very much though, I will see what I can do.

By the way, that format guide is for XP, I am running on Vista. Any way I could get a vista guide?
Sorry, 1 more thing. Is there a way to fix this to where I can see my desktop?

more_horiz
It's basically the same thing, same principle anyway.

Wipe the entire drive, don't back anything up, then re-install.

Win32/Virut.gen!0 DXwU4
Win32/Virut.gen!0 VvYDg

more_horiz
Alright, I will be sure to do that. I will post back here when I'm done to tell you the results. Could be awhile since I am a "newbie." I might even be working on it at school tomorrow with the help of my friends. Since once of my friends had this on his computer I will be asking him for advice. I just want to say thanks, and I'll let you know the results!

more_horiz
So I have not been able to reformat and reinstall windows, so I was wondering if there is any way for me to fix it where I can use Acer's eRecovery on my computer?

more_horiz
Nope, all files are infected, only way out is formatting.

You'll need to get an XP disc, or upgrade to Vista (MS no longer sell XP)

Win32/Virut.gen!0 DXwU4
Win32/Virut.gen!0 VvYDg

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum