WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionVery Slow Computer - Page 1 EmptyRe: Very Slow Computer

more_horiz
A bit better, I would say; indeed, I suspect ctfmon.exe was malware of some sort as it keeps wanting to come back (I have it on a blacklist...)

Anyway, a couple of observations:
- FAST DeFrag, a freeware piece of software I have which keeps a running tab on free RAM on one's computer among other things, shows that almost always most of my 512MB of RAM is being used: opening and using two internet explorer windows lowers my starting (after computer boots) RAM from about 200-250 (free megabytes of RAM after computer boots and Windows is fully loaded) to about 100, already; this precludes my listening to, say, online radio.
- My computer is "choppy": Often I will be typing a sentence in, say, a Word processor, and the computer will stop responding mid-sentence...and not respond at all for several seconds.

Thoughts?

more_horiz
?

more_horiz
Could also be Symantec causing slow downs, I recommend we temporarily uninstall Symantec/Norton, and see what happens.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Very Slow Computer - Page 1 DXwU4
Very Slow Computer - Page 1 VvYDg

more_horiz
Perhaps the issue is that I expect too much from a 512MB RAM computer...is it reasonable to expect that I can play internet radio + browse multiple tabs without any difficulty, on 512MB of RAM?

Incidentally, yeah w/o Symantec it SEEMS to be going faster...

more_horiz
...but not much. I'm reinstalling it.

I should mention that the blabbermouth.net website seems to cause particular issues...is that just because of how that particular website is formatted?

Thanks

more_horiz
Hello.
512mb is a little less for what software developers/companies recommend nowadays.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Well, yeah, I suppose internet radio must be fairly RAM-intensive, and opening and using multiple tabs on Internet Explorer probably is too...

I'm gonna buy more RAM. Thanks!

On a sidenote: My Symantec CD no longer works, so I can't reinstall it, unfortunately. Is it safe to use the internet before i get another CD to replace it? What should I watch out for/avoid online?

more_horiz
Forget Symantec, Norton is a huge resource hog, Avira on the other hand is much smaller and doesn't use as much memory.

Please install Avira antivirus otherwise you won't be protected.

1) Antivir PersonalEditionClassic
-Free anti-virus software for Windows.
-Detects and removes more than 50,000 viruses. Free support.

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts.

more_horiz
Hey, yeah, my computer is running much faster now, post-Symantec. You guys are awesome, thanks so much!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum