WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionUnable to update Adobe reader EmptyUnable to update Adobe reader

more_horiz
Hello... After clearing up a problem on my daughter's laptop I decided to update my Adobe Reader to 9.1 on my own computer. I deleted my older version (7.something) and then downloaded the update. The installer ran but choked at the end with the following error...

"Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel"

I was running an account with admin capabilities at the time. I don't know that I "need" the latest version, but now I have nothing. I thought of doing a system restore back to my previous version but figure I should update what I have regardless. What should I do next?

descriptionUnable to update Adobe reader EmptyRe: Unable to update Adobe reader

more_horiz
hello,
u could try this from Adobe

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/329/329137.html

............................................................................................

Main System Spec: Intel Quad Q9550 (OC to 3.4Ghz), Gigabyte Ga-ep45-ud3l, 4gb kingston hyperX @ 1066mhz, Corsair tx 650, Nvidia 8600GT.

Unable to update Adobe reader Siggye

more_horiz
nope -- that didn't work. I also couldn't complete a system restore. I think I'll take this over to the malware forum and see if there's something preventing me from completing the update.

Thanks!

more_horiz
You can try foxit reader which is more light weight and free.

............................................................................................

Unable to update Adobe reader MysigROG365x140withmark

more_horiz
Explain what you mean by update because there are two ways how it updates...you go to their website or updater auto. and ask permission..

more_horiz
Google is your best friend. Google your error code and you might find a good solution. :smile2:

more_horiz
Simply, reinstall it

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/329/329137.html

Unable to update Adobe reader V45u80

descriptionUnable to update Adobe reader EmptyHere's THE solution (resolving 1402 error code)

more_horiz
I have had s imilar problem where I could not install the updates provided by Adobe.com, nor could I repair the installation nor even do a complete reinstallation. My dilemma was that i kept getting either an AcroRD32.dll error or a message pointing a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/OptionalComponents/IMAIL error, which essentially was a 1402 error code.

After reading several posts found on diverse sites, I realized that the problem was essentially in the Registry's settings. All that was needed to correct the problem was to set the permissions in each of the subfolders, specifially IMAIL, MAPI and MSFS to Everyone. Doing this will enable you to either reinstall, repair, update or remove Adobe 9.0. (In my case, the problem was with 9.3.4)

With the help of another thread (http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?showtopic=32654&hl=Adobe\.\.\.), created by HKEd and last updated on Mar 31 2009, 01:07 PM by Biker, here's how you may go about achieving this solution. However, I had to take it one step further and add permissions for the other subfolders, specifically MAPI and MSFS.

Here is a comprehensive yet simple, step-by-step procedure to resolve this quandary you are in. (Please note that this procedure as outlined below is somewhat similar to the one I posted on SuggestAFix.com under the same screen name, though some slight changes have been made for "ease of reading").

1. Click on Start

2. Click on Run

3. Type regedit in the textfield. Press ENTER. (A window should come up captioned Registry Editor. If this fails to happen, repeat steps 1 - 3)

4. Under My Computer, you may see the plus sign (+) to the left of some words. Click on the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

5. Click on the + next to Software

6. Scroll down and click on the + next to Microsoft

7. Scroll down and click on the + next to Windows

8. Click on the + next to CurrentVersion

9. Scroll down and click on the + next to Run

Almost there...

10. Click on the + next to OptionalComponents

Note: You should see some forlders listed. In this case you may see the IMAIL, MAPI and MSFS folders.

11. Right-click on the IMAIL folder

12. Select Permissions

13. At the bottom of the opened pane, click on the button marked Advanced

14. Under the Permissions tab, click on Add

15. In the text area, type Everyone

16. Click Ok

17. Now tick the Full Control checkbox, then click on OK. (This should take you to the previous window)

18. Click Apply then click OK

19. Now, right-click on the MAPI folder and follow steps 12 - 17. (After you have completed this, go to step 20)

20. Now right-click on the MSFS folder and perform the same procedures found in steps 12 - 17. (Afterwards, go to step 21)

21. Now exit the Registry Editor

The bane of your problems should now be resolved

Now you should be able to achieve your initial goal, whether it may have been the installation, reinstallation, repair or uninstallation of Adobe 9.x. Good luck!

I would appreciate if you left a comment letting me know how helpful this post was.

more_horiz
thanks my freind i have been pylling out my hair for two weeks over this and have tried other so called solutions that involved paste this and that and copy this and that and all they did was cockup my registry,good job i have a good reg cleaner sys installed
yours was both correct simple and straght forward to use,keep up the good work
ragards
jason

more_horiz
If all else fails...

Start > run > cmd

then type...

TAKEOWN /?

/? is for more help with the command takeown... But if you specify the file that you are having problems with and use the command TAKEOWN you should have rights to access the file.

www.mendmycomputer.com

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum