WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionFaulty Powerbook screen EmptyFaulty Powerbook screen

more_horiz
Faulty Powerbook screen 1
This is an example of what my screen looks like, my laptop is actually a titanium 800mhz G4 but the image looks exactly the same. The computer posts just fine, and it even loads its os, I know this because I can here the sound when I press the sound key, I can even shut it down by pressing the shutdown button and pressing return. I haven't plugged it in to a spare screen to see if it can display on that yet, because I took the system apart to see if I could see anything was wrong. Last time I had a display issue it was with the video chip on the logic board, I had a place online reflow the chip and its been working fine for the past 2 years, I left the system unplugged for a few days and came back to it and I got this grey cloudy screen. I found another place online and the guy had a similar problem and he found a fried transistor at q23 he took it off and replaced it with a spare one he had. I checked the same area and my transistor was fine, in fact they all look ok. So is it the logic board, lcd, hinge, bad wires? I don't know, If anyone has a solution or similar problem let me know. I'd like to know so I can find out if its worth the effort to fix it. I replaced the battery and its holds a charge for a good amount of time, I'd hate to loose it for that reason, but I wouldn't want to pay more than 100 dollars for a new system, but i'd be willing to fix it myself for that price. Also I had some problems booting with the T key, it was recognized at first then it sorta just crapped out, for this reason I'm thinking its the video chip again, but I want to be sure before I send it to get reflowed again. When I got it reflowed the first time it had a different video issue with lines and bars that went across the screen and if I pressed down on the chip it would work fine, I do that now and it doesnt work.

descriptionFaulty Powerbook screen EmptyRe: Faulty Powerbook screen

more_horiz
Hi

It does seem like a video card issue. Or an LCD issue.

Most of the time, when all components boot, but the screen fails to look good, it is mostly likely the LCD or the video card.

more_horiz
it could also be anything in between like a bad cable connection between the logic board and the lcd, a bad transistor, or heck too much voltage went through a place it wasnt supposed to, I need to narrow it down a lot more than just, could be lcd or video card, which I already know, I need help from someone that has had the same or similar problem and fixed it.

more_horiz
I recommend to take it to a local computer repair shop. As they can have a closer look and tell you for sure. It is really hard to tell what the problem is from here, with just a picture.

more_horiz
meh i'd rather just see if anyone else has had this problem, most comptuer shops here are rather lame, theres an apple store but its way on the other side of town and I'm not really that jazzed about that either cause they'd probably just offer a 200 logic board replacement. So I'd rather just wait and see if anyone else may have a solution. I'm handy with a screw driver and soldiering iron so I don't mind fixing it myself.

if you want more pictures i've already taken out the logic board, I can take some pics of that but honestly it looks fine, no blown transistors, or anything like that, and it boots, I don't think it the video card for a lot of reasons, my screen looks exactly like the one in the picture so I figured more had this problem maybe someone else has a fix.

more_horiz
Hello,

There's no fix for this, except for getting it repaired. It's not software related or anything you can repair manually.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Faulty Powerbook screen Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
I can repair it myself, but i would like to know first if its the logic board or the lcd, I wanted to know if anyone else would know.

more_horiz
not sure if its the same problem but this maybe of help to you Smile...

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2008/04/13/laptop-lcd-screen-turned-white/

............................................................................................

Main System Spec: Intel Quad Q9550 (OC to 3.4Ghz), Gigabyte Ga-ep45-ud3l, 4gb kingston hyperX @ 1066mhz, Corsair tx 650, Nvidia 8600GT.

Faulty Powerbook screen Siggye

more_horiz
thanks xenos, probably it, i know these systems had some problems with the hinge cable, so its most likely that. Guess ill have to scrounge ebay for one.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum