WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows Defender Not staying Active EmptyWindows Defender Not staying Active

more_horiz
I have a Vista computer and it seems to keep stopping Windows Defender from being active when I start my computer again. Is there a way to keep it from not disabled?

Thanks

descriptionWindows Defender Not staying Active EmptyRe: Windows Defender Not staying Active

more_horiz
Hello,

There are two possibilities here. Your current antivirus or Internet security disables Windows Defender to prevent conflict. Or your system is infected with malware turning off Windows Defender.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Windows Defender Not staying Active Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionWindows Defender Not staying Active EmptyRe: Windows Defender Not staying Active

more_horiz
Cause it never ran right when I turned the computer on for the first time.

more_horiz
Hi. I see that you are having problems with your Windows Defender being disabled on Windows startup.
Let's take a closer look at the problem in order to solve it.

Firstly, I need to ask you this question:
Are you able to launch Windows Defender manually?

Next, let's look at the possible solutions to this problem:

1. I do not agree with what Doctor wrote:

There are two possibilities here. Your current antivirus or Internet security disables Windows Defender to prevent conflict. Or your system is infected with malware turning off Windows Defender.

I never heard of an antivirus disabling a conflicting counterpart. Thus, I do not think this is a possibility at all.

What is your answer to my question? If it is yes, skip point 2 and 3.

2.Like what doctor wrote:

your system is infected with malware turning off Windows Defender.

There is a high possibility that this is true. Install a powerful antivirus to eradicate the virus. I would recommend avast for a free antivirus. You could also turn to online scanners to expel the malware. A good one would be eset's scanner: http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/ or Kaspersky: http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partner/default/pages/default/check.html?n=1252539451465

3. Not being able to launch windows defender manually spells another possibility, you could have accidentally disabled the service for it to run.
To re-enable it, Go to "Start>Run", Type this string in the box that appears "services.msc"
See the screenshot example.

Windows Defender Not staying Active Run13

This window should pop up.

Windows Defender Not staying Active Servic10

Scroll down to find the entry "Windows Defender". Right click, choose properties. In the general tab, look for "startup type", in the drop-down box, choose "Automatic".

Windows Defender Not staying Active Servic12

Press Ok and reboot your computer. All should be fine now.

4. If you are looking at this point, either your answer to my question was yes or points 2 and 3 did not work for you.
You could have installed a software that blocks programs from launching on windows startup such as ccleaner. Another possibility is that you tweaked the settings in the System Configuration Utility.

Firstly, ask yourself if you have any software of the stated type. If yes, check if you have accidentally unchecked the box for windows defender. If you have, just check the box again.

Secondly, if you have tweaked the System Configuration Utility. Follow the instructions below to remedy the problem.

1.Go to "Start>Run". In the box that pops up, type "msconfig" and hit enter.
Windows Defender Not staying Active Runmsc10

This window pops up
Windows Defender Not staying Active Msconf11

2.Next, click the services tab, check if you unchecked the box beside the entry "Windows Defender". If you have, check the box.

3. Thirdly, click the startup tab. Check if you unchecked the box beside the entry "Windows Defender". If you have, check the box.

After you are done, click Ok and reboot. Your problem should be solved.

After following these solutions, hopefully, your problem would be solved. Bow or Thanks

Last edited by Lance(HAOH) on 10th September 2009, 12:48 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Grammatical mistakes and missing information)

more_horiz
In the msconfig it says Stop Pending and in the services it says Stop and Automactic. and there is no way of change it.

more_horiz
Hi, I see your problem. In your post, you wrote this.
MrMario wrote:
in the services it says Stop and Automactic.

Firstly, what is your reply to my question in my previous post?

Next,try starting the Windows Defender service. Refer to the screenshot in my previous post, open up services.msc and scroll down to locate the entry "Windows Defender". Right click and select "start". After that, try launching Windows Defender manually.

If the above solution does not work, I need to ask you a question:

1. If you are having problems starting Windows Defender manually, your computer could be infected with malware.(Refer to point no.2 in my previous post) Do you get any error message when trying to start Windows Defender manually or when Windows boot up? If yes, please post a screenshot of the message.

Finally, please check whether you have any startup blocker preventing Windows Defender from starting up.

If you really are unable to solve your problem using these solutions. Google up on more solutions or turn to Microsoft's FAQ. If you are lucky, you would be able to find a solution.
Good Luck!

Bow or Thanks

more_horiz
This is what I get when I click on Start.

Windows Defender Not staying Active Window10

This is the error message when I start Windows Defender.

0x800705b4

I looked on Google and there was nothing that I could find. I also talked to an Dell Agent and he said I needed to restart my OS. This computer isn't 2 months old yet and I am already having problems with Windows Defender when I first turned it on. I also scanned my computer and there was nothing or virus or melware.

more_horiz
A search on google shows that your error code points to an timeout issue in Windows Defender. You can solve your problem by updating your definitions. Update your definitions manually here: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx

more_horiz
It looks like it fixed it. I will keep an eye on it and let you know, Thanks for helping Smile...

EDIT

Its not solved :/

more_horiz
The ultimate solution: Uninstall Windows Defender and Reinstall it. Download it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx Awesome (sparkly)

Last edited by Lance(HAOH) on 14th September 2009, 11:07 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Missing information)

more_horiz
I restarted my OS when it was bought. It works great now, wondering could this problem be that I have Windows Online Care? If so what should I use to replace it with?

{EDIT}

I found out its Windows Online Care fighting with Windows Defender. Is there a way to allow both those programs to run together?

more_horiz
Hello,

Windows One Care is designed to run on it's own, so it disables Windows Defender to prevent conflict. If I'm not wrong, Windows One Care has the Windows Defender system built in.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Windows Defender Not staying Active Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum