WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSome programs can't connect to the internet? EmptySome programs can't connect to the internet?

more_horiz
Hello, I think this is the right forum to post it in.

For about 3 weeks, and program I download (I.E. and AIM update, Google Chrome, Firefox), can't connect to the internet.

For Firefox, It says:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.aim.com.

I've read through firefox's tutorials on how to fix this, and nothing has worked. But it worked before I got the newest Firefox.

I can't download google chrome because the installer says: "connecting to the internet" and then it fails.

And most of all, I want to play this game I have, Blockland.

I have a download of Blockland working right now, but, if I download a new one, it just stays in offline mode and its not connected to the internet. So i'm afraid when a new version comes out, I won't be able to play.

Is there anyway I can fix this? I want my AIM to work, and Firefox and blockland.

Please Help, Thanks! Smile...

descriptionSome programs can't connect to the internet? EmptyRe: Some programs can't connect to the internet?

more_horiz
i would check make sure you firewall is not blocking the new programs.

do a quick test, just deactivate the firewall and quickly see if the software then works. then turn it back on.

if it works then great, you have pin pointed the problem.

if not then ya can rule that out

Smile...

............................................................................................

Main System Spec: Intel Quad Q9550 (OC to 3.4Ghz), Gigabyte Ga-ep45-ud3l, 4gb kingston hyperX @ 1066mhz, Corsair tx 650, Nvidia 8600GT.

Some programs can't connect to the internet? Siggye

descriptionSome programs can't connect to the internet? EmptyRe: Some programs can't connect to the internet?

more_horiz
My firewall is turned off, and i even put the programs on the Exception's list, and it still won't work.

BTW, I'm using Vista.

more_horiz
is it windows firewall? are you running any additional security software?

as Blocked applications almost always come from bad firewall configurations.

............................................................................................

Main System Spec: Intel Quad Q9550 (OC to 3.4Ghz), Gigabyte Ga-ep45-ud3l, 4gb kingston hyperX @ 1066mhz, Corsair tx 650, Nvidia 8600GT.

more_horiz
Yes, It's windows firewall.

No, I don't have any other security software installed.

more_horiz
lets try this

Open a command prompt as an administrator

Type the following commands without the quotes:

"Ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter.

"Netsh int ip reset" and press Enter

Vista will then want to be rebooted. Go ahead and reboot.

When it starts back up, again open command prompt as administrator.

Type the following commands without the quotes:

"Netsh winsock reset"

Vista will then want to be rebooted. Go ahead and reboot.

Hopefully this will work, if not i will try and think of something else Smile...

more_horiz
This is what happened. :/

Some programs can't connect to the internet? Error110

Did I do something wrong?

more_horiz
Hello,

You have to open a command prompt as Administrator like Xenos said.

Click Start >> Type in cmd >> Right click cmd and then select Run as administrator.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Some programs can't connect to the internet? Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
I did it all, and no, it didn't fix the problem. D:

Any other ideas guys?

more_horiz
ok....

could you tell me if you are using 32bit or 64bit? and if 64 is it just 32bit applications that cant connect.

test it:
you have 2 versions of IE in 64bit, a 32 and 64 bit version you could test it by trying both of them

more_horiz
I have a 32bit comp.

more_horiz
Let me think open control panel and then open up security center. It will tell you
in there what firewalls you are running. Check the list and then
disable them all. This is just in case there are other firewalls are
running without you knowing.

Also try booting into safe mode and see if you still get that problem.

erm.... just for the sake of trying it, could you run (not in safe mode) one of the programs that wouldnt connect as administrator, right click > run as admin

also have you ever had any other security software installed on this machine?

Let me think this is a tough one, anyone else feel free to throw in some ideas Smile...

more_horiz
Tech, if u go to start, programs, mozilla > start firefox in safe mode, what occurs? Can u connect?

Also, can u tell us what is the brandname of your router, knowing your isp may also help. U might possibly have some router ports that need opening.

more_horiz
Xenos wrote:
Let me think open control panel and then open up security center. It will tell you
in there what firewalls you are running. Check the list and then
disable them all. This is just in case there are other firewalls are
running without you knowing.

Also try booting into safe mode and see if you still get that problem.

erm.... just for the sake of trying it, could you run (not in safe mode) one of the programs that wouldnt connect as administrator, right click > run as admin

also have you ever had any other security software installed on this machine?

Let me think this is a tough one, anyone else feel free to throw in some ideas Smile...

DDidn't work. I'm gonna try safe-mode in asecond.

abletec wrote:
Tech, if u go to start, programs, mozilla > start firefox in safe mode, what occurs? Can u connect?

Also, can u tell us what is the brandname of your router, knowing your isp may also help. U might possibly have some router ports that need opening.

SAme thing, doesn't connect.

I just got a game, it also did not work on the internet.

AIM didn't work ethier once I updated it.

Router: Netgear (I can get model if yuo want)
ISP: Comcast.

It worked fine for a long time until like 3 weeks ago. :s

more_horiz
Tec:

Let's start from the very beginning, a very good place to start, as the song would have it.

1) Are u able to connect to the internet at all?
2) Please click your start menu, then run, type cmd, & then type ping www.google.com
What are the results?
3) While still at the command prompt, please type ipconfig /all > myconfig.txt & then please paste the contents of the file myconfig.txt to this topic. Note the slash key is the 1 u press in conjunction w/the shift key to make a question mark--please don't confuse it w/the backslash (\) or you'll get errors. It's an easy mistake to make.

I gather that the trouble began on a recent update to firefox--is that correct? Have u tried uninstalling FF & going back to an earlier version? I really doubt that's the problem, but...

Lastly, it might help to give me the model # of your router. It may contain a built-in firewall that's causing grief. Sorry for all the questions, but I failed telepathy 101 miserably. Really really badly. In fact, the only reason why I got a single point in that course was cuz I put my name on my paper lol.

more_horiz
Sorry about not getting back to you. I was out of town with no internet.

1) Yes, but only programs that haven't updated in awhile. (I.E. IE8).
2) The picture shows what happens, then it closes.
Shoot, I got to go for a bit. I'll be back in a few hours I think, and I'll finish the questions.

more_horiz
Can u translate that for me?

Tech, if u sent a screenshot, we have a problem. I'm completely blind now, & my screenreader does not interpret pictures for me. I do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that causes u. I suspect it probably inconveniences me more? Lollollol! If u feel u need some1 else to assist u, I fully understand. I know screenshots can prove helpful in some cases & my inability to read them can prove equally unhelpful. However, blindness aside, I am pretty knowledgeable & I'm willing to help in any way I can.

What antivirus/antispyware/firewall programs are u runnin, & what is the name/model of your router, e.g., the box that lets u connect to the internet. Have u uninstalled any firewall programs recently?

Have a blessed rest of your weekend!

more_horiz
Sorry about not getting back, again. I'm moving this weekend.

and I guess i didnt psot a screenshot, so whatever.

What antivirus/antispyware/firewall programs are u runnin: Just windows Firewall. I used to have norton, but it expired and I removed it.

Name/Model: Netgear WGR614 v7.

Have u uninstalled any firewall programs recently?
Norton, but that was like 3-4 months ago. This started happening a month ago.

more_horiz
hey, i have not replied to this thread for a while as i have been watching it to see how it progresses.

i know you said norton was months before this started happening but can you download and run this please
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

any chance you know what version of norton you were running?

Last edited by Xenos on 21st August 2009, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Tech, I suspect this is where our problem lies.

If, once u move, restarting the router & getting all the connected computers in the arp table & stuff doesn't help clear this up, then I suggest going to trendmicro.com & downloading a program called highjackthis. Check the perform scan, then save a log & send it to knowledgeable folks. Then please post here. HJT is a great tool for finding malware, but it's also an incredible aid to finding processes/programs running on your computer which u either didn't know were there or u thought were uninstalled, & that's what I'll be using it for in this case. Norton is *notorious* for being a real bear in this regard.

I hate moving more than anything else in this world. I sincerely wish u luck cuz I know what a bite it truly is. I moved 3 years ago & it was the move from h e double-hockeystick. May yours be the best 1 ever!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum