WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSound Driver Issues EmptySound Driver Issues

more_horiz
Hello. I'm new to the site, so, I'm sorry if I'm lacking the information that you need, in order to help me, but I logged onto my computer, this morning, and the sound driver wasn't functioning at all. I'm not sure which sound driver I use, but I'm on a Dell, running XP, so, if anyone can help, given the limited information, that would be great.

descriptionSound Driver Issues EmptyRe: Sound Driver Issues

more_horiz
Hello,

Grab a driver from here for XP:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=23&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#AC

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Sound Driver Issues Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
does it matter which one?

more_horiz
Yes it does. Get the one for XP.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Alright, so, I was installing it, and in the middle of it, a window appeared, which said something about the software not being passed by Windows Logo, so, I tried to continue anyway, but it went to a blue screen.

more_horiz
Hello,

Let me know the series and model number of your Dell computer.

more_horiz
It's a Dimension 2400 Series, but I'm not sure what a model number is. Would that be on the back of the tower?

more_horiz
Hello,

That's all I need, thanks. Download and install the first driver listed here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=3&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

more_horiz
Alright, so, I downloaded and installed the first driver and it said that it was successfully enabled, and that I need to restart and run the install again. Is that what was supposed to happen, and if so, now what do I need to do?

more_horiz
Is the sound working now?

more_horiz
No, and for some reason, my taskbar changed to the classic view when I restarted.

more_horiz
Once in a while, my system sounds work, but I won't hear any other sounds.

more_horiz
Hello,

What software are you running to play the sounds from?

more_horiz
I'm not sure. How can I find out?

more_horiz
Hello,

For example, Windows media player, Winamp etc. The software you use the play sounds.

more_horiz
Oh, alright. I usually use Windows Media Player, but when I try to play any sort of sound, it says that there is a problem with my sound device.

more_horiz
Bump Bumpity Bump Bump Bump.

more_horiz
Bmocrab:

I don't mean to interfere w/Milton, but let's try a couple things here & see if the dog hunts:

The first thing to make certain of is that your speakers/headphones are connected properly, &, if speakers, that they're plugged in, turned on, the volume is sufficiently high, & no headphones are plugged in.

If all that is true, then:
1) Go to control panel by clicking start menu > control panel, or, if using classic style, start > settings > control panel;
2) If in category view, click classic view;
3) Click the + by the sounds & audio devices entry;
4) Your first tab here is the volume--make certain it's not turned down all the way. Another thing to note here is the advanced button--activate it. Note a mute checkbox for all sounds--make certain it's unchecked & make certain the checkbox to mute the wave driver is also unchecked;
5) Next, click the audio tab & make certain the proper device is selected. I don't know what that is precisely. I assume you're not using any kind of USB headset, so the device should just be your RealTech soundcard or something similar.

If everything seems in order, close out the sounds & audio devices aplet & go to the system aplet, still in control panel. Click the hardware tab, then activate the device manager button. Click the + by the sound, video, & game controllers & make certain there are no red x's or yellow ! marks by your soundcard. If you've got those, let us know.

Assuming all is well so far, u can close out control panel & then double-click windows media player. Click the tools menu, then options, then the devices tab. Make certain your soundcard is selected as the correct device.

If that is in order, close out the options menu, click file, then open. Navigate to where your music is & pick a selection. Did it work, or, if not, was there some sort of error message? If it didn't work, which file did u try to play? I'm particularly looking for the file extension, e.g., .mid, .mp3, .wav, etc.

Lastly, I've seen malware, especially viruses, on a system trash sound drivers. Generally what needs to happen if that's the case is to remove the malware, then remove the soundcard driver in device manager of control panel & restart. The sound driver will be reinstalled & work like a champ.

I've given u an *awful lot* of information. Take it slow. Don't get overwhelmed. Print out the post & follow me step by step. Let us know the results & we'll take it from there.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum