WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionBoot errors caused by Drive Image EmptyBoot errors caused by Drive Image

more_horiz
I recently backed up my Windows XP Home latop in my office using Drive Image 2002 before installing Service Pack 2. I now get two error messages at start-up: ‘Err5: error finding vfloppy.sys’ and ‘Err8: fake floppy driver not found.’ I’m then prompted to press a key to boot the active partition and then Windows will load. I now realise that Drive Image 2002 is not for Windows XP and have bought Drive Image 7; however, can you help me to get rid of this annoying boot problem please? I have a dead line for my office work!

Last edited by on 14th January 2008, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

descriptionBoot errors caused by Drive Image EmptyRe: Boot errors caused by Drive Image

more_horiz
First, Drive Image 2002 is Windows XP compatible, I have used it dozens of times to successfully back up and restore partitions in XP.
Drive Image causes the error message you received. When you choose to back up a partition, Drive Image rewrites the Master Boot Record of your hard drive so that when you restart, a virtual 'floppy’ disk is loaded, enabling Drive Image to run and make the image in question. When the process is complete, Drive Image is supposed to rewrite the MBR so you can boot normally, but it appears it hasn’t done so in this case.

One reason for this could be that Windows XP has been set up to compress files on NTFS partitions that haven’t been accessed for some time. To verify this is the problem, browse to the Program Files \ PowerQuest \ DriveImage 2002 \ VFD folder. Compressed files will be displayed in blue, so select them all, right-click one and select Properties. Click the Advanced button and untick Compress contents to save disk space. Click OK, wait for the files to be uncompressed, then click OK again. Now run Drive Image 2002 and make another drive image. Once complete, Drive Image should clean up after itself and the error messages will cease.

If this isn’t the case, the easiest way to fix your problem is to fix the MBR using Windows’ own tools. Windows 2000 and XP users should access the Recovery Console from their Windows CD and use the FIXMBR command.

Regards Laughing

descriptionBoot errors caused by Drive Image EmptyRe: Boot errors caused by Drive Image

more_horiz
wow! thanks for the quick reply Scanner, i'll check it out other time.

thanks again!! Smile...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum