WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionNetworking 2 PCs with a crossover cable (how?) EmptyNetworking 2 PCs with a crossover cable (how?)

more_horiz
I have two machines at home that are networked via a crossover cable. This system ran fine under Windows 98 SE and I was able to transfer files and share printers. However, I cannot get the system to work under Windows XP Professional Edition, despite running the Networking Wizard and attempting to configure it manually. Can you give me a step by step run-through of how I set it up? I also run Zone Alarm on both machines.

descriptionNetworking 2 PCs with a crossover cable (how?) EmptyRe: Networking 2 PCs with a crossover cable (how?)

more_horiz
Your firewall shouldn’t stop you connecting your machines together, but it’s worth turning it off while you run the Network Setup Wizard, then turn it back on and choose the Medium security setting for your local network. You don’t say whether both machines run Windows XP or if you’ve still got a PC with Windows 98 SE on. Either way, make sure you’re using TCP/IP rather than IPX/SPX or other protocols like NetBEUI.

If the wizard can’t set things up, go into network properties, rightclick on ‘Local Area Connection’ and choose Properties. On the General tab, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. Choose ‘Use the following IP address’ and type in 192.168.1.2 on the first machine and 192.168.1.3 on the second – these are private IP addresses that you can use on any local network.

Accept the Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 that Windows XP suggests and click OK. Use Start > Run > CMD to open a command prompt on the first PC and type PING 192.168.1.3 to find out if your PC can see the other machine. If that doesn’t work, there’s a hardware fault somewhere. If it does work, check that both machines are still in the same workgroup (do this under Computer name in System Properties – you’ll have to reboot if you change the name).

Now look for them in "My Network Places" or search for the other PC by IP address. Once you find it, use Tools > Map Network Drive in Explorer to make a permanent connection. For security reasons, you’ll have to share drives and printers explicitly.

8)

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Networking 2 PCs with a crossover cable (how?) Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionNetworking 2 PCs with a crossover cable (how?) EmptyRe: Networking 2 PCs with a crossover cable (how?)

more_horiz
thannks for your post, it is very detailed Big Grin

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum