WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Excruciatingly slow boot time, internet also lagging badly

2 posters

descriptionSolvedRe: Excruciatingly slow boot time, internet also lagging badly

more_horiz
@alewiina don't use Windows Update to install device drivers always install device drivers from either from your laptop manufacturer website or from device manufacturer website.

more_horiz
So right after the graphics driver installed, the whole screen went dark and I couldn’t do anything... so I had to hard restart.  Let it restart, it got to the windows login, so I logged in, but then it was just stuck on a black screen and wouldn’t load my UI.  I had to leave and now I’m going to work with worried knots in my stomach

more_horiz
It happens when installing graphic card drive your screen will go black how long did you wait before restarting your laptop?

more_horiz
I’m not sure, I didn’t know that Sad tearing  so when I restart it later it’ll probably be fine?

more_horiz
We deal with it when you are free.

more_horiz
Okay.  I hope it’s not dead Sad tearing

more_horiz
Okay I’m home.

I turned it back on.  It’s back to the ~6.5 minute boot time that I originally had the problem with.  It loaded fine at first, displayed the Windows Live background thing, I put in my PIN to login, etc.

I saw the outline of my desktop and icons for a few seconds and then it went back to the black screen, which is how it still is now.  I get a cursor with a blue loading wheel if I move the mouse, and I know the display is on, because it’s a bit lit (not like a powered off screen) but otherwise nothing.  It’s been black for 8 mins as of this post.

Edit: it’s now been 40 mins.  Still black, still a cursor when I move the mouse

more_horiz
From the login screen press and hold down Shift key and click Restart to boot your computer into Safe Mode. Within Safe Mode uninstall the driver from Device Manager.

more_horiz
I tried to do that.  When I restarted it, Windows automatically started “working on updates”.   When that was finished, my computer got a BSOD and restarted itself.  This has happened 4 times now, it restarts and BSODs.   The error is DRIVE_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, which I gather from googling is because of an incompatible driver.  I don’t know how I’m supposed to fix this now, I can’t even get to the login screen

more_horiz
You can force your computer to boot into Windows Recovery Environment by force shutting down your computer soon as Windows 10 tries to boot shutdown your computer by doing this five times the Automatic Startup Repair will take over and try to repair your system after Automatic Startup Repair finish if it has not resolved the issue then there will be option to restore your system to a date when it was working also there will be a link to Advanced Tool which is where you can start your computer into Safe Mode.

more_horiz
Okay I managed to get it to Startup repair, which is now running.  It’s going to have to run overnight, because I can’t stay up much longer. Hopefully I’ll wake up to some good news

more_horiz
After we deal with BSoD error and get Windows working i think we going to have to get dirty and one at time found the device drivers from device manufacturer websites.

more_horiz
How is everything progressing, do you need more assistant on this issue?

more_horiz
Hey, sorry, I was working all day yesterday and didnt get a chance to come online.

Startup repair has seemingly fixed all my issues.  The laptop boots in less than 2 mins, and everything's running quick and as it did before.  I have no idea what it fixed (I went to bed long before it finished), but it worked!

Thanks for all your help. I learned how to do several things throughout this process that will help in the future, too! Smile...

more_horiz
We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, thank you for letting us know that all is now well!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum