WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionFirewalls etc. EmptyFirewalls etc.

more_horiz
Hi everybody,

ive recently bought a new computer asus with windows 7...'

the trend micro trial has just finished and i dont no what protection i have on the laptop. Could you please tell me what i need to get that is going to protect my computer and where to get it from/download. Some programs that arent going to clog up the computer and are fairly easy to use that sort of run in the background automatically.. thanks for ur help
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

descriptionFirewalls etc. EmptyRe: Firewalls etc.

more_horiz
Hello. Smile...

First I recommend uninstalling Trend Micro through Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.

Microsoft Security Essentials should be sufficient for an antivirus. It's lightweight, easy to use and automatically updated through Microsoft Update.

Windows Firewall is more then good enough for a firewall. If it's not enabled Microsoft Security Essentials will enable it by default as long as the option "Enable Windows Firewall if no firewall is found." is checked.

Additionally

Antimalware

• Malwarebytes' Antimalware
    Malwarebytes' does a great job in removing rogue security applications and other top threats. Consider purchasing the pro version for lifetime updates, real-time protection, ip blocking and scheduled scanning/updating.

• Superantispyware
    Superantispyware does a great job at removal. The real time protection is strictly for paying customers Consider buying a lifetime license to have permanent future updates/upgrades.

• SpywareBlaster
    SpywareBlaster is a small tool that prevents spyware and other malware from sneaking through internet explorer. Just open, update and enable the protection and close. That simple.

Browsers

It's important that you use a different browser then Internet Explorer. Due to the active x technology, malware writers have used this to infect users visiting web pages. It's best to use a browser that does not support this.

• Avant Browser- Avant uses the Internet Explorer engine, but includes several features such as ad blocking and disabling active x usage with a single mouse click.

• Mozilla Firefox- This browser does very well in keeping security a priority. Includes an awesome popup blocker, right click add blocking and many add-ons that increase the protection. Ensure you install the following for best results:

*Adblock Plus- Uses a black list of ad's that block most ad's on the web today. Updated regularly to block newer ad's.

*NoScript- Blocks malicious scripts that may cause drive by downloads(immediate malware install on visiting page), clickjacking(can enable your web cam or microphone for spying).

more_horiz
Thank you for your help... im using google chrome is that ok as a browser... also shouldi install all those antimalwares or just 1???

more_horiz
You're welcome. Smile... Yes Google Chrome is pretty secure. Smile... None of them run in real time so you should be fine to install all of them. Smile...

more_horiz
How can you tell if someone is in your computer thru the internet?

more_horiz
gholcomb wrote:
How can you tell if someone is in your computer thru the internet?

You can use TCPView program to monitor network connections.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum