WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionConnecting 2 routers EmptyConnecting 2 routers

more_horiz
Hi there,

I have a wireless router with a NAS device, a wired computer, and a switch connected to it. The switch is wired on the other side of the house for wired computers. My question is, can i connect a wireless router to this switch, or straight through the wireless router to extend the wireless network. Our wireless doesn't quite reach where I want it so I was wondering if i connect a new wireless router to the existing wireless router if this will work. With the new wireless router, i assume I would just have to turn DHCP off? Is that correct?

Thanks tons for this great site!

descriptionConnecting 2 routers EmptyRe: Connecting 2 routers

more_horiz
It makes no difference whether you connect the second router to the switch or directly to the first router

A procedure for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected.

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

more_horiz
Thanks heaps!

I went and purchased a second wireless router and set it up as you said, and it is working!

Just a question, Why should the ip of the second access point have a different ip. I have the primary router that gives the internet connection with ip 192.168.1.1, so why do you suggest I have the second router with ip such as 192.168.1.98? Why shouldn't I make it just 192.168.1.2?

A second question, the second access point doesn't show when I search for wireless networks, how does the second router know to stay the same as the first router?

Also, its a shame the routers can't connect wirelessly, would save me having to wire long ethernet cables under the house =[

THanks again!

more_horiz
Hello,

Just a question, Why should the ip of the second access point have a different ip.

Not sure what you mean. It, like all other devices on the network, has to have a unique IP address. The purpose of giving it an address in the same subnet as all the other devices on the network is so that you can conveniently access it when necessary (e.g., when you want to change the encryption key).

the second access point doesn't show when I search for wireless networks, how does the second router know to stay the same as the first router?

Don't understand what you mean by "stay the same." Also not sure why you say you cannot detect the 2nd router's wireless signal after earlier saying, "set it up as you said, and it is working." You have its wireless enabled and the SSID broadcast enabled, don't you?

its a shame the routers can't connect wirelessly

It's a shame you didn't think of that earlier. Some routers have a wireless bridge (or AP client) capability. But if you can run the ethernet cable that's a far, far better solution. 😉

more_horiz
Hi,

Thanks for all your help.

Both the routers are broadcasting the wireles network, i have called both of the router's ssid's the same, set their encryption method the same (wpa) and the same passphrase.

Instead of having 2 seperate wireless networks called, for example, ROUTER when I search for networks, There is just one network. But I know they are both broadcasting because if I unplug one router, the network is still there.

My question is, why are the wireless routers only showing as one ssid, instead of two ssids with the same name?

Thanks again!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum