WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSolvedLaptop keeps dropping wireless connection.

more_horiz
Hi all,
hope you can help! A Toshiba Satellite P100 (built in wireless networking and bluetooth) laptop running Windows XP Pro that I have connected to my home wireless network keeps dropping its internet connection. Other wireless devices, laptops etc, I have had connected to this network all work fine so the problem seems to be with this particular laptop. It has full signal strength from the 2WIRE modem/router.

The problem is that a minute or so into a download the wireless connection symbol in the bottom right of the screen displays a red cross then I have to wait a minute or so, open the wireless connection window, refresh the network list and connect again. This is very annoying and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

descriptionSolvedRe: Laptop keeps dropping wireless connection.

more_horiz
More info regarding the above post....

I have just noticed that when the laptop drops its connection my home PC drops off the LAN as well, it is wired to the router and never drops its connection. It spends 30 seconds or so to acquire a network address and continues on normally. This is very strange as when I use another laptop on the wireless LAN none of this happens. Any ideas??

more_horiz
bump

Tried another laptop and the same thing happens so now I think it is the Modem / Router seems to be when the wireless and the wired are running at the same time I get booted off the network. Any ideas??

more_horiz
The problem may be in the windows settings of the laptop......It sounds as though its searching for, and attempting to connect to another network other than your LAN.

Make sure settings in windows are configured to connect to your WLAN only and that it is at the top of the list for connections.

Disable any 'automatically connect to this network or preferred network' other than your own WLAN and also disable the Local Area Connection on the Laptop!

Regards

more_horiz
Hi thanks for your reply. Have done that. Still the same. When I start a download on the wireless (laptop) it drops it connection to the lan and so does the wired PC. Strange problem???

more_horiz
I think I have got it to work now. Logged into the router and altered the ATM Encapsulation setting from 'Routed VC-Mux' to 'Routed LLC', not that I know what any of that is :-) I am just changing settings to see what happens.

Regards...

more_horiz
Woops spoke too soon. Problem still exists.

more_horiz
i'm using the window vista and it seems that every time my laptop connected to a wireless network, it will disconnect after few minutes... it's very annoying. i don't really know what happen...anyone can help please???

more_horiz
Are you letting windows discover and connect to the network, or are you using the routers software to connect?

Does the wired system also lose connection, or only the wireless laptop?

Have you upgraded the adaptors drivers to the latest available?

Regards

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum