WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Loss of External Harddrive

4 posters

descriptionSolvedLoss of External Harddrive

more_horiz
Hey,

Yesterday when I was switching some sockets I on mistake, turned off the computer and everything else connected to it. Similar things have happened before but this time, my harddrive seems to have taken some damage which really pisses me off since I have everything on it. This is a Western Digital External harddrive with 750 gb space.

The problem that occurs is that the computer becomes slow and I can't access the harddrive and it says something about if I want to format it and I certainly does not want to do that. I believe that the computer knows it's there because it's pretty much all of the time visible even if it takes some time and it makes that common sound everytime I plug it in.

If you want further information I'll be happy to send you it but please be quick I really need it!

EDIT: This is the error I found when I scanned the drive.

Loss of External Harddrive Jhjhjh

Translated: "The disc is not formated The disc in unit H is not formated. Do you wish to format it now?"

descriptionSolvedRe: Loss of External Harddrive

more_horiz
Hello,

There's nothing you can do, unfortunately. You can send it to WD and ask for a replacement.

more_horiz
Doc, I have a suggestion...
How about opening the drive by using Run Cmd?
if the drive opens he could take a backup of the data before replacing or formatting

more_horiz
Not sure if it will work, but it's always worth a try.

more_horiz
Is it possible to open it manually and insert it in an other harddrive?

I it will be hard to replace it as I can't find the guarantee, nor do I believe that it's still available for use.

more_horiz
The best option i suggest is that you take a back up of all your Important Data and Format the external hard drive

To access your External Hard drive
Go to RUN
Type in "H:" without quotes
(H: is the Drive of the External Hard disk, might differ on your computer)
and see whether your disk is accessible or not.
If yes, take a back-up of all Data and Format the Hard disk..

more_horiz
This is the error I got (translated from swedish):

H:\ is not available.
The volume contains no known filesystem. Check if all necessary driveroutines for the filesystem are engaged and that the volume isn't broken.

more_horiz
Now that's a serious error My Friend, Bad luck,
Go for a replacement....

more_horiz
Yeah well, I'm actually going for a new comp and fortunately... pretty much all my images/web designs are saved in my mp3 player Smile...

What do you think about these? (they are swedish sites but I hope you can guide yourself through it)

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=332714

http://www.onoff.com/online/se/inet.nsf/vProd/37826?opendocument&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onoff.com%2Fonline%2Fse%2Finet.nsf%2FvProd%2F37826%3Fopendocument&Par=PR_SITEse%2CREFERERwww.google.se

http://www.elgiganten.se/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/store-elgigantenSE-Site/sv_SE/-/SEK/El_DisplayProductInformation-Start;pgid=p2Gz6oZKCO5SR0EjA9JBwx1h0000jxJrLQV4?ProductID=aNDD4QFHHfEAAAEc3ukkibiK&CatalogCategoryID=n9PD4QFHfS0AAAEOHURZtSxX

http://www.onoff.com/online/se/inet.nsf/vProd/54378?opendocument&markID=20-95-80

more_horiz
I am sorry i can't read Swedish, but i could make out was that you are planning to buy a New PC, right?
Glad to help if you could provide the specification you want Smile...

more_horiz
I already know what I want but I need to make sure that it's worth the money. And you don't have to know english... Sapphire Radeon for an instance, is still called Sapphire Radeon Smile...

more_horiz
Sapphire Radeon is universally called Sapphire Radeon, but the currency and price Differs?
Also the Configuration also depends, that's the reason i asked for the specification which allows to compare the prices, which would need much more than Just the name of the Graphic card

more_horiz
Cooler Master Centurion 590 Black, Aluminium Front (Without PSU)
Seasonic S12Energy+ PSU 650W, 120mm Fan, ATX/EPS, 2xPCI-E, 6xSATA, 20/24pin
AMD Phenom™️ II X3 720 Black Edition, Triple Core, 2,8Ghz, AM3, 95W, Boxed
Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5, Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850X2 1GB GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI, HDMI, HDCP, Full-Retail
Gigabyte GA-MA78G-UD3H, Socket-AM2+/AM3, AMD 780G+SB700, ATX, DDR2 , Firewire, GbLAN, HDMI, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB SATA, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-5200A, DVD+R/+RW/DVD-R/-RW, OEM, IDE, Black

LOGITECH Lasermus G5

Samsung SyncMaster T220

SAITEK ECLIPSE II

That's what you wanted?

more_horiz
This may be long winded, but may serves as a guide to those who wanna DIY your own rig.

PSU :
Its more depend on your liking, but dosnt matter if u wanna build a new rig. IMO, invest on a high efficient + modular/non-modular PSU Cheaper solution can be Andyson, Seasonic, OCZ.If want to go high end, go for cosair HX series(thumbs up). I recommend around 600W< power supply as the upcoming graphic card may tend to consume less power compared to now, even SLI GTX260. Anything that exceed that may not be useless unless you are a gaming fanatic which uses larger monitor which require more graphic power.
(low quality powersupply may cause damage to your hardware during power fluctuations)(Low efficiency power supply may not be able to channel enough power to your hardware as it may be weaken overtime)

MOBO/GRAPHIC :
Its another IMO. weather its Nvidia or ATI, Intel or AMD, it all up to you. For me, i will go for AMD for being reason 1 : Bang for bucks. The current dragon platform undeniably beat Nvidia hands down. With chipset like the newest 780/790/790FX(4 way). Although you would say SLI>Crossfire, but with its onboard graphic chip, its like no others. This is because the graphic chip will not be disabled when you plug a graphic card in but it will accelerate it. I've seen videos of people even using this onboard chip to play one of the latest graphic demanding game in youtube, GTA4 in medium mode. Its very impressive and smart of AMD to buy over ATI unlike Nvidia and Intel struggling to shoot down each other, like the current ion platform and the i5 processors. With 600+W high efficient PSU, u can power up a crossfire platform of the current HD4890 or older ones. For the limitation of using phenom processors is not an issue either. The phenom 2 processors are now on par or even more power compared with the less powerful series of i7 processors. Overall price/performance = value, AMD/ATI combo still leads. If you prefer Nvidia mobo for SLI, i think that it is not worth its price as both amd and intel manufacture crossfire board which tends to be far cheaper than SLI board.

RAM :
Dosnt matter much. DDR2-800/1066 and O.C if required.(depend on mobo chipset)
DDR3 ram supported MOBO :
AMD 780G/790s
INTEL X58
Nvdia 790i

Hardisk :
Very simple, weather SCSI or High RPM, SSD or normal storage is all up to your needs.

CPU fan :
Check your wallet, like the design, see the reviews.(Things like noise and size limitation may be taken into consideration)

Casing :
Cheap : Normal SECC with plenty of holes for airflow will do.
High end : Full aluminum + watercooling/aircool.

MOBO, Casing, PSU
ATX casing -> Midtower/ Fulltower | ATX size PSU or extended ATX size PSU
MATX casing -> Small form factor | most support up to ATX size PSU only

Others : Some small form factor casing may limit the size of you cpu cooler or graphic card, be sure to double check before buying.

My opinion may differ from others and may tend to be bias and please correct any grammatical mistakes/misinformation as i wrote this on the fly.

more_horiz
Well those components were in a computer packet. It's quite cheap and can take the newest games. However, I heard that I could need some extra fans for this particular computer so it would be greatly appreciated if you helped me with that instead Smile...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum