WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSolvedSocket AM2+ Socket AM2?

more_horiz
Hi,
Can anyone tell me? Will an "AMD Socket AM2+ CPU" fit in a "Socket AM2 Motherboard"?

thanks in advance.

ohwell

Let me think Let me think Let me think

descriptionSolvedRe: Socket AM2+ Socket AM2?

more_horiz
Hello,

Socket AM2+ is a CPU socket, which is the immediate successor to Socket AM2 that is currently used by several AMD processors such as Athlon 64 X2. Socket AM2+ is a mid-migration from Socket AM2 to Socket AM3 and is fully compatible with Socket AM2, so that processors designed for Socket AM2 work on Socket AM2+ motherboards and vice versa.

The main differences in Socket AM2+ are utilised by AM2+ processors, i.e.

HyperTransport 3.0 operating at up to 2.6 GHz
Split power planes: one for the CPU cores, and the other for the Integrated Memory controller (IMC). This will improve power savings, especially with integrated graphics, if the CPU cores are in sleep mode but the IMC is still active.
While technical documentation was readily available for earlier generations of AMD processor sockets, the "AM2r2 Processor Functional Data Sheet" (AMD document number 41607) has not been made publicly available.

AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work on AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards. However, the operation of AM2+ processors on AM2 motherboards will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (1 GHz HyperTransport 2.0, and one power plane for both cores and the IMC). AM2 processors do not benefit from the faster HyperTransport 3.0 and separate power planes on AM2+ motherboards.

Many manufactures have yet to (and may chose not to) release BIOS updates that would enable this compatibility. Others have simply stated that their AM2 motherboards are not compatible with AM2+ processors.

AMD confirmed that Socket AM2+ will have a compatibility path with Socket AM3; AM3 processors will work on AM2+ motherboards but AM2+ processors will not work on AM3 motherboards.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum