WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionDesktop computer won't do anything from desktop...sits there with hourglass EmptyDesktop computer won't do anything from desktop...sits there with hourglass

more_horiz
My mother-in-law wanted me to take a look at her desktop computer....said it wouldn't go on the internet. But, she's still able to get to the internet with her laptop...the DSL modem/router lights were all on....so, that isn't the issue.

From the desktop, it won't go to any of the icons. It sits there with the hour glass on like it's busy but if you click on anything, nothing happens. The Windows button doesn't work or anything.

I was able to do Control-Alt-Delete and restart it and the same thing....no program is opening. I did notice when doing Control-Alt-Delete that it said CPU usage 0% even after me clicking Firefox and IE icons....and it sitting there with hourglass, but yet it isn't coming up.

I can't even go to the control panel to look at anything (can't click windows and it doesn't work even if pressing the windows key).

I'm not sure what it is....my first guess was the processor, but I'm not sure of what the symptoms are when a processor goes bad.

The computer is a Compaq Presario that she's had about 6 years or so. Nothing has ever went bad in it, however, I did add more RAM to it probably about 3 years ago.

What do those symptoms suggest?

descriptionDesktop computer won't do anything from desktop...sits there with hourglass EmptyRe: Desktop computer won't do anything from desktop...sits there with hourglass

more_horiz
Try Opening the programs in Safe Mode by pressing F8 key while rebooting, also reply with complete configuration of that PC.

descriptionDesktop computer won't do anything from desktop...sits there with hourglass EmptyRe: Desktop computer won't do anything from desktop...sits there with hourglass

more_horiz
The next time I go to her house, which will be later this week, I will try it in safe mode and get the info on her PC.

more_horiz
Just for my own knowledge when I go over there....

If the computer does open programs in safe mode but doesn't in normal mode, what would that tell me?

more_horiz
If those programs start in Safe Mode, I suggest you reinstall The OS (XP)
Remember to take a back-up before Repairing or reinstalling XP

Last edited by tarzan on 23rd April 2009, 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

more_horiz
Her computer is a Compaq Presario S5010NX 2.5 GHz Celeron processor 40 GB Ultra DMA hard drive and originally had 128 GB RAM, but I put another 1G RAM in it a few years ago.

It's running Windows XP Home

I am not able to back-up anything on it because when it's on the desktop screen, it shows all the icons and everything, but it won't click on anything. It won't go to the control panel...nothing. If I move the mouse to the task bar area, it has an hour glass like it's busy...but it never does anything.

I did go into safe mode, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do in safe mode. I was able to go to the control panel in safe mode, but anytime I click on something, it just sits there and never brings it up (not sure what options are available to do in safe mode).

I can't update Windows in safe mode. I can't update and run Anti-virus (and that is using Safe Mode with Networking).

If I try to do anything like updating Anti-virus, defrag, etc. I get the box that comes up telling me it's in safe mode...to continue in safe mode, etc.

Right now I'm on her laptop which is on the network.

I don't think I did the "share files and folders" thing from the desktop when I set up her home network. Is there any way to get the pictures and stuff off of the desktop computer through the laptop via the network if it hasn't been chosen to share the files and folders.

Now, I can't even use a flash drive or CD or anything to back-up the pictures and such from the desktop because it doesn't let me go to anything....not even the start menu. It just sits there and can't click on nothing but moving the mouse to the taskbar shows an hourglass.

more_horiz
Try these 2 steps and let me know the updates
1. Select Safe Mode and not Safe mode with Networking.
2. Check if that hourglass thing is still there in safe mode when you access Start Menu, My Computer, Media player, if yes
3. Just Unplug the Modem/Router cables and Restart in Safe mode and if successful then resume Normal Mode

more_horiz
tarzan wrote:
Try these 2 steps and let me know the updates
1. Select Safe Mode and not Safe mode with Networking.
2. Check if that hourglass thing is still there in safe mode when you access Start Menu, My Computer, Media player, if yes
3. Just Unplug the Modem/Router cables and Restart in Safe mode and if successful then resume Normal Mode

I tried Safe mode both plain safe mode and safe mode with Networking. It does go to it. The hourglass thing isn't there in safe mode and I'm able to access Start Menu, My Computer (didn't try Media Player...got this reply from you after I had already gotten home). From the start menu like if I go to Control Panel, it pulls it up, but when I click on something like "System" (or anything for that matter), it just sits there...no hour glass or anything...it just doesn't pull up whatever I chose. Also, I'm not able to close out the Control Panel by clicking on the X...I have to do Control-Alt-Delete and End Task to close out the control panel.

Like if I go to "My Documents" in safe mode and click on one of them, I just get a beep with the message that tells me it's in safe mode...asking if I wish to proceed in safe mode.

Also, I noticed when booting it up normally, real fast it has the black screen with white letters with the options to boot in Windows XP Home Edition or the Recovery...the Windows XP Home Edition is highlighted and it doesn't even give a chance...it starts booting normally. So, the boot.ini needs to be changed I'm sure so that that message doesn't appear. The problem is, I can't even go to the msconfig command because I'm not able to do anything on it....can't get documents off, etc.

more_horiz
I was going to try to just do a system restore on it back to a previous date a few weeks ago, but I'm not able to do anything.

On the right hand side of the task bar, none of the little icons are coming up...those about what programs are opening at startup...not even the speaker icon or the Anti-virus.

more_horiz
From researching this a bit, it sounds like the explorer.exe is corrupt....not sure on that, though.

I'll have to go back over there soon and try stopping explorer.exe throught the task manager.

But, I'm not sure how to put a new version of that on there. I'll have to see if she has her Windows XP disk....can that be done to repair that file without it wiping out her pictures and other files and such?

Also, there is a recovery console on her computer. How would I access that explorer.exe file on it to copy it to get rid of the old explorer.exe.

Maybe this was caused by a virus or something? Maybe this should be moved to viruses instead of hardware? Feel free to move it if it needs to be moved. I was just thinking hardware problem originally, but now am thinking differently.

more_horiz
Yeah, i believe this should now move to the OS Section

more_horiz
Does anyone have any input on this?

more_horiz
Hello,

Try this: Ctrl+Alt+Del >> Process tab >> New process >> explorer.exe

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum