WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSolvedBell Canada ISP. Speedstream 4200 DSL modem. Linksys N Wireless router..

more_horiz
I don't know if this site is the proper place to ask but...I have a speedstream 4200 dsl modem hooked up via usb...I have now learned it has a built in router. I DO NOT want to use this router so I purchased a Linksys Wireless N router. My goal is to wirelessly hook my ps3 and ipod touch to the internet...no other computers or anything like that...when installing the linksys software it said 'you have a router already, would you like to add another?' ...well do I haha?? I stopped installation at that point... I read that having the "2" routers would mess things up....Please help!!!

descriptionSolvedRe: Bell Canada ISP. Speedstream 4200 DSL modem. Linksys N Wireless router..

more_horiz
You do not want to hook it up to a computer but you installed a linksys software? On where?

descriptionSolvedRe: Bell Canada ISP. Speedstream 4200 DSL modem. Linksys N Wireless router..

more_horiz
you may have misread....I have internet on my one and only computer..I don't need to hook to any other computers as I do not have any more only want to hook to a ps3 and ipod touch wirelessly...I haven't installed my linksys yet, I only started to but stopped because I was confused when it told me i already had a router present...which I then researched and found out my modem has router capabilities built in...(speedstream dsl 4200)

update: I have reinstalled my modem to use the ethernet cable instead of the usb cable...so hooking up the linksys should go more smoothly after I figure out the whole double router issue...

SO>> that is essentially my problem...how do i go about bypassing the 'router' thats built into my modem...and just use the new linksys wireless ...? or at least set the modem's 'router' up so that it wont interfere with the new linksys one...??[i]

Last edited by PatriciaRose on 22nd April 2009, 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info to help my helper :))

more_horiz
The double router shouldn't be a problem. As far as I know it won't interfere.

more_horiz
ok great thanks...so when it asks do i want to run my current router(in my modem) as well as the new linksys, i should obv say yes...!? what if i say no and just try and run the new one...will that screw my internet connection...since i will essentially be disabling parts of my modem...?

more_horiz
It won't screw your internet connection. Worse comes to worst, you can restore it. 😉

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum