WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionhelp, I think I have a virus :( - Page 1 EmptyRe: help, I think I have a virus :(

more_horiz
ahh, I'd already changed it in there and saved settings before I read this post Sad tearing
so do you think it could be just a simple case of "dead battery" that would cause the error and the crashes?

descriptionhelp, I think I have a virus :( - Page 1 EmptyRe: help, I think I have a virus :(

more_horiz
It is possible.
If you can change the battery and backup your settings, then go for it.

more_horiz
ok I will try that and see if it works. LOL i live in the countryside so gonna have to buy a battery worth bugger all from the nearest shop which is miles away, ahh well, hope it sorts it out ;)

more_horiz
I put the new battery in and the only difference is that the clock keeps the right time on the desktop now which it didnt while all this nightmare has been going on.
Im really p'd off now, been trying to sort this all day with no luck. I just did ANOTHER install of windows hoping it would do something but no change. I cant download microsoft updates or .net fx and ati drivers. I can download other progs such as anti spyware and things like that while in safe mode but its still crashing in normal mode.

more_horiz
This is probably a hardware issue now.

The crashing is because of the CPU over heating?
Take the case off and clean any dust off the hardware. And how much RAM does this machine have?

more_horiz
Its pretty clean inside atm and as far as I could see the cpu temp looked 50ish degrees c

Ive got 1gig of ram

more_horiz
its pretty clean inside and as far as I could see in the settings the cpu was around 50ish degrees c

i have 1gig ram installed
and in case it helps:

ms windows version 2002 sp2
amd athlon 64bit processor 3200+ 2.01 GHz
my mobo is a foxconn winfast ck804k8ma (socket 939 i believe)

more_horiz
50c is quite high.
If this is another BIOS problem, I don't know what to suggest with every BIOS being different.

I think your CPU may have had it. Either your heatsink is giving up or you need new heatpaste.

I'll see what a colleague thinks of this.

more_horiz
cpu is pretty clean and is athlon 64 3200+ 2 ghz
1 gig ram
foxconn winfast ck804k8ma mobo

more_horiz
Belahzur wrote:
50c is quite high.
If this is another BIOS problem, I don't know what to suggest with every BIOS being different.

I think your CPU may have had it. Either your heatsink is giving up or you need new heatpaste.

I'll see what a colleague thinks of this.
sorry for all the posts I didnt think some had worked so typed it again. thanks for all this help, I hope its an easier fix than a new cpu Sad tearing lol

more_horiz
We'll see.
I've PM'd our hardware tech, he'll post here soon.

more_horiz
Its cool now! turned out to be my c: drive was knackered, replaced now and all is good. Thanks for your help guys, this is a very handy place. I never even heard of hijack this before I came here and the fact that we can use it and post the info on here for someone that knows what they are doing is amazing to me. Thanks again ;)

more_horiz
Yes, Hijack This is a very hand tool. Wink
Glad you fixed it. Smile...

more_horiz
Im sure I'll be back soon lol
Was probably that virus that killed my hdd you think? Ive heard that can happen, is it true?

more_horiz
Feel free to visit this forum anytime you like, just don't be back in the malware removal section. Goofy
Malware does damage that can't always be undone, but I can't see any purpose of a malware writer gets from killing a HDD.
The infection you had was quite nasty, a backdoor bot that steals personal info, plus some vundo adware infection.

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer in order to prevent future malware infections. Please take these recommendations seriously; these few simple steps can stave off the vast majority of spyware problems. As happy as we are to help you, for your sake we would rather not have repeat customers. Goofy

1) Please navigate to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and download all the "critical updates" for Windows. This can patch many of the security holes through which attackers can gain access to your computer.

Please either enable Automatic Updates under Start -> Control Panel -> Automatic Updates , or get into the habit of checking for Windows updates regularly. I cannot stress enough how important this is.

2) In order to protect yourself against spyware, you should consider installing and running the following free programs:

Ad-Aware SE
A tutorial on using Ad-Aware to remove spyware from your computer may be found here.

Spybot-Search & Destroy
A tutorial on using Spybot to remove spyware from your computer may be found here. Please also remember to enable Spybot's "Immunize" and "TeaTimer" features.

SpywareBlaster
A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster to prevent spyware from ever installing on your computer may be found here.

SpywareGuard
A tutorial on using SpywareGuard for realtime protection against spyware and hijackers may be found here.

Make sure to keep these programs up-to-date and to run them regularly, as this can prevent a great deal of spyware hassle.

3) Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is fantastic; it is much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in popup blocker (as an added benefit!) that I have ever seen. If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from here:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

4) Also make sure to run your antivirus software regularly, and to keep it up-to-date.

5) Finally, consider maintaining a firewall. Some good free firewalls are Kerio, or
Outpost
A tutorial on understanding and using firewalls may be found here.

Please also read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place

Hopefully this should take care of your problems! Good luck. Big Grin

more_horiz
thanks. Ive got most of those progs any way and i do auto updates and just about everything you mentioned but just proves they can still slip in sometimes lol.]Thx again for you help. ;)

more_horiz
Since this issue is resolved, this topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum