WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionHow to Set or Unset The Read-Only Folder Attribute in Windows 7 EmptyHow to Set or Unset The Read-Only Folder Attribute in Windows 7

more_horiz
How to Set or Unset The Read-Only Folder Attribute in Windows 7 2zfsrwp

By default, the folders in Windows 7 do not have a read-only attribute. Only files have a read-only attribute. Any changes to the folder's read-only box will only affect the files in the folder, then the read-only box will default back to blue when you check it again.

Right click the folder and click Properties
Note: The read-only box will always be filled with a blue box to show that the Read-Only attribute is not activated.

Click the General tab.

How to Set or Unset The Read-Only Folder Attribute in Windows 7 33wku3n

To Set Read-only;

• Check the Read-only box and click OK. (See screenshot below)
    Note: This will only set the read-only attribute for all of the files in this folder and it's sub folders. It does not affect the folder itself. See: Microsoft Help and Support: KB326549

How to Set or Unset The Read-Only Folder Attribute in Windows 7 2lw2dmr

• Click OK on the confirmation window.
    How to Set or Unset The Read-Only Folder Attribute in Windows 7 20fqkb8

To Unset Read-only;

• Click on the Read-only box until it is blank without the blue square.
    Note: This will unset the read-only attribute for all of the files in this folder and it's subfolders. It does not affect the folder itself.

• Click OK.

How to Set or Unset The Read-Only Folder Attribute in Windows 7 F9i2w3

• Click OK on the confirmation window.

How to Set or Unset The Read-Only Folder Attribute in Windows 7 Jkwy8j

hit counter

descriptionHow to Set or Unset The Read-Only Folder Attribute in Windows 7 EmptySadly

more_horiz
Unsetting read only does not work; when the subfolders and files are "reset", only the files are in fact flagged not to be read only. All the folders are still ticked as such. Which is why I am posting here :-(

I would add that I have, as owner of the root folder for all this, full permissions. Again, as noted, this happened out of the blue, after months of it not being a problem
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum