WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionNvidia gets graphics win with Apple's new MacBooks EmptyNvidia gets graphics win with Apple's new MacBooks

more_horiz
Chip maker puts pressure on Intel, AMD as Apple puts GPU in laptop line

(Computerworld) Striking a blow at chip rivals Advanced Micro Devices Inc. and Intel Corp., Nvidia Corp. unveiled its latest graphics chip this week, saying it has five times the performance of other graphics processing units (GPU) on the market.

And to back up its tough talk, Nvidia also announced that Apple was picking up the GeForce 9400M GPU for its new MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air laptops.

"The NVIDIA GeForce 9400M architecture delivers an ideal combination of visual computing horsepower and energy efficiency in a single, highly-integrated package that we're using to bring a whole new level of graphics performance to our MacBook users," David Moody, Apple's vice president of worldwide Mac product marketing, said in a statement.

And that's one heck of a door-opener for Nvidia, according to Dan Olds, an analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group Inc.

"I think they have an advantage right now," said Olds. "I don't see Apple using them if Nvidia didn't have compelling technical and economic merit. Apple knows what it's doing in notebook design, and they have to satisfy a demanding audience. They wouldn't use the Nvidia part if it didn't provide significant value."

The NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is a single chip that has been designed for notebooks and smaller computing devices. The company reported that it has 16 parallel-processing cores that deliver 54 gigaflops of processing power. Nvidia also claimed that the........

More: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9117348&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1

descriptionNvidia gets graphics win with Apple's new MacBooks EmptyRe: Nvidia gets graphics win with Apple's new MacBooks

more_horiz
Why would Apple need a very good GPU if their customers can't play most of the games with Mac.

descriptionNvidia gets graphics win with Apple's new MacBooks EmptyRe: Nvidia gets graphics win with Apple's new MacBooks

more_horiz
Good question......Apple gaming support is very poor, but then again, people mostly only buy them for 2 reasons.

(1) Eye Candy......ohh, but Macs look better!(but they are overpriced)

(2) Because they are Windows haters.....'Microsoft suck' mentallity!(follow the masses).

Surfing, e-mail, and looking at pie charts hardly has the need for high end GPU. lol

Regards

more_horiz
No offence to all the mac fans out there... But mac sucks.

more_horiz
I agree with fairy...... And what's with the taskbar on top lol

more_horiz
There is also the false belief that if you buy a Mac you are safe from Malware and comprimisation.

Not true!

I dont like to bash em cause everyone has a different use for their systems and some users get a lot more out of Mac than Windows. (god only knows how?)

I do however, like the way that OS X does not embed browsers etc into the OS itself, and that 'root' access is not enabled by default!

Good security features that MS could learn from!

Regards

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum