WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionGoogle Chrome = Dead, Google Search = Hot EmptyGoogle Chrome = Dead, Google Search = Hot

more_horiz
People don't think, 'I need a new browser so I can search the Internet better.' They go to Google.com and start typing.

Last week, Computerworld reported that Chrome's market share has slipped again -- now fighting for a fourth spot with the Opera browser. That means IE, Firefox, and Safari are trudging on the fledgling Google browser, which has just a .7 market share, according to Net Applications. I think the browser has now almost become inconsequential, a bright blip that has faded faster than my summer tan.

But was there really any hope? I wrote about all of the challenges facing Chrome recently, but I think the biggest challenge by far is compatibility. Web developers know that you had better make sure your site works with IE, and it probably better work with Firefox. Adding another one to the list is a losing proposition -- how many more hours of coding should they do for a browser with a .7 market share? I understand WC3 support, but in the open market of Web browsers, it's about more than just standards. The fact is, anytime a user tries to fire up Cinemanow.com and finds that Chrome doesn't work, it's like a stop sign on the Internet -- it makes the average surfer wonder: why am I using Chrome at all? It leaves an indelible impression on them and they eventually switch back.

It's time for a post-mortem. For one thing, Google is known primarily as a search giant. People don't equate search with the browser platform. A browser is the shell for Web sites, but they don't wake up in the morning and think, man, I really need to get a new browser so I can search the Internet better. No, they go to Google.com and start typing. And, they do this many multiple times per day, all year long.

More: http://www.pcworld.com/article/151934/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

descriptionGoogle Chrome = Dead, Google Search = Hot EmptyRe: Google Chrome = Dead, Google Search = Hot

more_horiz
Even though I'd stick with Firefox over all, I seriously hope Google is planning something for Chrome. Suspect
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum