WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSolvedPC Power Button Jolt

more_horiz
I'm using a Dell Dimension 5150 PC, a Dell 17" 1708FP LCD monitor and Dell A525 speakers with a subwoofer.

I'm using it in my uni's hostel and the CPU is placed under a wooden table with metal legs. The space under the table is approximately 4 feet(width) x 3 feet(length). The subwoofer is placed about 1 feet away from the CPU. The power adapter and the wires are cluttered behind these 2 units.

My problem is that only recently i experienced mild jolts of electric(or static?) coming from the power button when i turn on the main power socket. I thought it was the adapter but after changing it, it was still the same. So i rearranged the wires and adapter slightly and the problem was temporarily solved... but when i turned off the computer and the main wall socket and turned it on again, the jolt came back again... weird. Could it be the small area under the table?

I rearranged the wires again a minute ago and the problem went away again, but i can sometimes hear weird noises from the speakers(or subwoofer) when i rearrange the wires...i'm guessing it's some sort of interference which leads to the problem of grounding the jolt but i'm still lost.

Anyone of you experienced a similar problem before? Or maybe you can guess what's going on? Thanks in advance.

descriptionSolvedRe: PC Power Button Jolt

more_horiz
Turn off your computer and leave for a day or 2, including the power supply.
it is probably the static electricity because ur computer has been running for too long. correct me if im wrong Cheers Mate Peace!

more_horiz
Hello friend,
I am placing a request for a hardware tech to come and have a look at your problem.

It shouldn't take them long.

In the mean time, I recommend that you refrain from touching the power button with bare skin. Please wrap your finger in cloth before touching your power button as I would hate to see it get stronger and cause you harm.

:~Help Update~:
I am sorry that this is taking so long. We have sent a message to one of our hardware techs. It shouldnt be much longer before you have a reply from him.

more_horiz
Thank you for the help, I'll be waiting for the tech's help :)

more_horiz
Well, I don't quite know what is causing the problems yet, but this might be happening because you are in a dry and cold climate.

For now, ground yourself first before touching the button. You can do this by touching any metal object. I will think about what is causing your problem and get back to you.

more_horiz
Bad earth within the case somewhere......either mobo or PSU support panels i would say!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum