WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Excruciatingly slow boot time, internet also lagging badly

2 posters

descriptionSolvedRe: Excruciatingly slow boot time, internet also lagging badly

more_horiz
I meant I disabled all the ones you said to, I hid the Microsoft ones before i hit "disable all", like you said.

No, I don't think I do.  This laptop came preloaded with it and I don't remember ever getting a disc or anything.

more_horiz
Does the Windows boots?

Don't worry we found a way to deal with this.

more_horiz
Yes, I mean I'm using the laptop right now, so Windows DOES eventually boot.  Everything seems to be working fine (and my internet is faster again - thanks for the tip about the drivers).... its just that boot time taking forever.  I'm so scared one of these times it's just not going finish booting at all.

more_horiz
First make sure to select Normal Startup from System Configuration.

Have you let SeaTools to finish its Long Generic Test?

more_horiz
Disable Fast Boot feature of Windows 10.

Have you install all latest version of device drivers from devices manufacturer website?

more_horiz
Sorry, no, because I was confused as to what it said.   You said "This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive." but when go into it, I see no options for any recognizable drives (like c: d:, etc)  it just shows this:

Excruciatingly slow boot time, internet also lagging badly - Page 3 Seatoo10

Is that WES2MYR0 thing my hard drive?

more_horiz
Um, I think I have?  I'm not sure what all drivers there are to install, I updated the network one like you told me.  I'll go check the graphics one in a sec.

I already have fast boot disabled.

more_horiz
Yes that is the hard drive you want to scan for errors.

more_horiz
Ok.  I'll let it scan but it looks like it will take hours and hours. ;_;

I just don't understand, almost everything I'm reading everywhere, hard drive errors means the laptop wont boot at all, but this will, just not for a long time.  This all started right around when Windows updated an adobe security update a few days ago.  But I had uninstalled it after I suspected it and it didnt seem to change anything, and it's reinstalled itself now

more_horiz
We can try another trick but you need to make sure to set BIOS boot order to boot from bootable Knoppix Live CD if the computer boots without problem then we'll know its either hard drive or Windows causing the slow boot problem. And without testing both for errors we cannot know which one is the causing the slow boot time.

Please open the Command Prompt by clicking Start Menu --> All Programs --> Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt, and open it as an administrator. In Windows Vista and later versions of Window operating systems type cmd.exe into Start Screen or Start Menu, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

Execute following commands one at a time:

Code:

Sfc  /scannow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

chkdsk C: /r

more_horiz
Do I do all that after the seatools finishes scanning?   I don’t understand what you’re saying about BIOS boot order so maybe that’s not a good idea.  I have no idea what that is or how to set it.

more_horiz
Stop the seatools and execute the commands please.

Please visit below site to learn how to set BIOS boot order.

http://www.boot-disk.com/boot_priority.htm

more_horiz
I really don’t understand the BIOS thing, I’m so sorry. I’m scared I’m going to screw things up even more.  I had to do a hard restart because my laptop froze and it’s still taking forever.

Is there anything else we can try that doesn’t involve the BIOS boot thing?

more_horiz
Because you can access BIOS setup software we have one option left that's to disconnect the CMOS battery on the motherboard for 15 minutes to reset BIOS settings.

Have you executed those three commands?

more_horiz
I didn’t yet because I thought you meant to do that after the BIOS thing.  I’ll do it now

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum