WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

description[INACTIVE] Windows Using 80-85% of RAM From Startup Empty[INACTIVE] Windows Using 80-85% of RAM From Startup

more_horiz
So I'm not exactly the best at figuring stuff out... I can read what I can see, but in this instance, I'm not seeing anything.

So I woke up this morning after having my computer turned off all night... booted up my machine and immediately I could tell something was wrong. Once my Resource Monitor booted up, I saw exactly what was wrong. My machine was using 10 Gigs of RAM straight from bootup. It varied in amount by .3-.5 GB, but for the most part, it's been 10 GB abouts. So I looked in the Task Manager to find what was using so much... nothing. The programs I'm using do not add up to 10 GB of RAM whatsoever. The highest I was using was the Antimalware Service, using 100 MB of that 10 GB.

I have been told it may either be a Malware issue or a memory leak. The first, it is not Malware. I've run my Malware Fighter from IOBit a few times now, it has found nothing. It's currently in the middle of a full check ATM, so maybe something will pop up... but in the meantime, I'm gonna go with option 2, that it's a Memory Leak. But I would like it to be confirmed here, and if it is, what steps would I take to fix this, or is it fixable?

I appreciate any expedient help I may receive and thank you very much in advance.

RAM: 12 GB (2x4GB, 2x2GB)
CPU: AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core Processor

Last edited by Dr Jay on 5th August 2018, 4:16 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Technical info)

description[INACTIVE] Windows Using 80-85% of RAM From Startup EmptyRe: [INACTIVE] Windows Using 80-85% of RAM From Startup

more_horiz
Hi @majinonifox1

Welcome! to GeekPolice.net

There are many reasons why 10GB memory been used so i suggest that we should go over few troubleshooting steps.

Lets not say its not a malware infection but we will only presume its a malware infection if we can't figure out what is causing the 10GB memory usage.

Please follow the following troubleshooting steps:

Please open the Command Prompt by clicking Start Menu, and type cmd.exe, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

Type following command and press Enter key:

Code:

Sfc  /Scannow

The above command scans integrity of all protected Windows system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Code:

Dism  /Online  /Cleanup-image  /RestoreHealth

The above command scans Windows for component store corruption, and then perform repair operations automatically.

Code:

Chkdsk C: /f

The above command will  fixes errors on the disk.

You will be prompted to schedule a error checking on C: partition, type Y and press Enter key.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk C:/f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) y

Please run the System Log Collector Batch Script file and attach the .zip archive folder to your next post.

Please boot Windows into Safe Mode to check if the issue resolves and let us know the result.

How to Boot Windows 10 into Safe Mode

The Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a tool that can be used to monitor your installed applications for new updates. When started, Secunia PSI will scan your computer for applications and install any updates that are available for them. This allows your computer to remain secure from possible vulnerabilities in your installed programs. It is a free and very useful tool that allows you to keep your computer secure by automatically updating older versions of installed software so that possible security vulnerabilities are patched.

[INACTIVE] Windows Using 80-85% of RAM From Startup OTSRYTt

Heimdal Free is a program that scans your computer for outdated programs and silently updates them so you are using the latest and most secure versions. This allows your computer to be protected from vulnerabilities that are commonly found in older programs. The updates are installed automatically, in the background.

No one likes to navigate confusing websites looking for the right software version. You have to avoid toolbars, spyware, adware and other threats to find the app you need. Heimdal FREE makes it easy: choose from a list of over 20 applications and install a new app with one click. The latest version is always available and there is no need to download and run an installer. Safe, easy and quick!

[INACTIVE] Windows Using 80-85% of RAM From Startup JKz1iJv

Please make sure to install all Windows updates.

Please visit your computer manufacturer website to install latest stable device drives for your computer.

description[INACTIVE] Windows Using 80-85% of RAM From Startup EmptyRe: [INACTIVE] Windows Using 80-85% of RAM From Startup

more_horiz
How is everything progressing, do you need more assistant on this issue?

more_horiz
[adm]Due to lack of response, this topic is now closed. If you would like it reopened, PM me, a Security Officer, or another administrator. If you have a different computer other than the one above, or if you are someone else, please start a new topic.[/adm]

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum