GeekPolice Tech TutorialsLog in

Windows 10 0xc000000e Bootup error

descriptionSolvedRe: Windows 10 0xc000000e Bootup error

more_horiz
I thought I had I went to advanced restart selected usb drive confirmed UK then repair pc then trouble shoot then command prompt?

more_horiz
Okay, you can also configure boot order within BIOS setup utility to boot your computer with Windows bootable USB flash drive.

The error message is strange lets deal with that later on, lets deal with Bootrec /RebuildBcd command not founding any installed operating system.

Since the BCD store exists, you'll first have to "remove" it manually and then try to rebuild it again.

At the Command Prompt, type below command as shown and then press Enter:

Code:

C:

At the Command Prompt, type below command as shown and then press Enter:

Code:

bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup

The bcdedit command is used here to export the BCD store as a file: bcdbackup. There's no need to specify a file extension.

The command should return the following on screen:
The operation completed successfully.

Meaning the BCD export worked as expected.

At this point, you need to adjust several file attributes for the BCD store so you can manipulate it. At the prompt, execute the attrib command exactly like this:

Code:

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

What you just did with the attrib command was remove the hidden, read-only, and system attributes from the file bcd. Those attributes restricted the actions you could take on the file. Now that they're gone, you can manipulate the file more freely - specifically, rename it.

To rename the BCD store, execute the ren command as shown:

Code:

ren C:\boot\bcd  bcd.old

Now that the BCD store is renamed, you should now be able to successfully rebuild it.

Try rebuilding the BCD again by executing the following, followed by Enter:

Code:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Restart your computer after rebuilding the BCD store.

more_horiz
Copy Code

Code:

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

path was not found

which I assume had a knock on affect with the next steps after

more_horiz
Yes we will need to make sure C: is assigned to the system partition, can you please execute below commands one at time and post a screenshot of commands output.

Code:

Dir /a C:\

Diskpart

Select Disk 0

List volume

Exit

more_horiz
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/88/98/09/attemp10.png

here is outcome.

more_horiz
I can see you are very good with executing commands that was fast thank you.

We have to deal with system partition not having assigned any partition letter then rebuild BCD store.

Please give me few minutes for me to write you a guide on how to do that.

more_horiz
okay ill have to do this tomorrow now, given the time, thank you for your help so far.

more_horiz
You are very welcome, i have different way of repairing system boot files stored at system partition .

You will have to use Diskpart command to find out the System Reserved partition assigned number.
The output of the below commands may display the name of the System Reserved partition as only System or ESP.

Type diskpart and press Enter.
   Type list volume and press Enter.
   Under the label row, find the label System Reserved and note its corresponding Volume number.
   Now type select Volume=N and press Enter, where N is the Volume number you noted earlier.
   Now type assign letter=w and press Enter.
   Type exit and press Enter.
   Type bcdboot C:\Windows /s w: /f ALL and press Enter.

Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

more_horiz
Hi,

I have entered list volume, I cannot see anything referring to 'system reserved'

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/88/98/09/list_v10.png

more_horiz
Hi @Robcrook101,

Its Volume 3 with FAT32 file system, 100MB partition size and Info section list it as a System.

more_horiz
okay sorry, 

thanks now I have done the code and says boot files successfully created 

Type bcdboot C:\Windows /s w: /f ALL and press Enter.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdboot C:\Windows /s w: /f ALL
Boot files successfully created.

more_horiz
Please restart your computer to find out issue resolved.

more_horiz
sadly issue came up straight away.

more_horiz
Is it the same error message if its follow the instructions at below tutorial. Any questions please let me know!

How to Rebuild Boot Configuration Data (BCD) on Windows

more_horiz
yes same error message 0xc000000e winload.efi
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum