How to Set Up a Proxy Server in Windows 10

You can set a proxy server from Windows 10 Settings app, without the need for third-party software.

A proxy server is a dedicated computer or a software system running on a computer that acts as an intermediary between an endpoint device, such as a computer, and another server from which a user or client is requesting a service.

Proxy servers can compress traffic, cache files and web pages from the Internet, and even strip ads from websites before they reach your computer. This allows users of Proxy server to save bandwidth, especially usefull for companies when they have hundreds or thousands of employees accessing mostly the same popular websites. Other benefits include improved security and privacy.

Proxy servers are used for both legal and illegal purposes. In the enterprise, a proxy server is used to facilitate security, administrative control or caching services, among other purposes. In a personal computing context, proxy servers are used to enable user privacy and anonymous surfing. Proxy servers can also be used for the opposite purpose: To monitor traffic and undermine user privacy.

One way to set up a proxy is to specify a script address that is given to you by the network administrator or by the company’s IT department. When using a configuration script for a proxy server, note that its address is similar to a URL (the address of a website), such as http://my.proxy.server:8000/.

To set a proxy using an automatic configuration script, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows + I keys to open Settings app.

2. Click Network & Internet.

3. Click Proxy.

4. In the Automatic Proxy Setup section, set the Use Setup Script switch to On.

5. Enter the script address as it was given to you; then click Save.

6. Close Settings.

How to Set Up a Proxy Server in Windows 10 GjGU7ub

Set Up a Proxy Server Manually

Another way to set a proxy is to manually enter its IP address and port number.

Here’s how to set a proxy manually in Windows 10:

1. Press Windows + I keys to open Settings app.

2. Click Network & Internet.

3. Click Proxy.

4. In the Manual Proxy Setup section, set the Use a Proxy Server switch to On.

5. In the Address field, type the IP address.

6. In the Port field, type the port.

7. Click Save; then close the Settings window.

How to Set Up a Proxy Server in Windows 10 UOvKH9i

To disable the proxy, set the Use a Proxy Server switch to Off.