GeekPolice Tech TutorialsLog in

Started getting random coloured dashes across my screen

descriptionSolvedStarted getting random coloured dashes across my screen

more_horiz
Whilst i was on my pc some random coloured dashes appeared and were flickering all over my screen, once i restarted my pc they disappeared,

I have a brand new Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb which i installed 5 days ago,
is it ok that i have amd A8-7650k radeon r7 with graphics plus the gtx 1060 6gb?

I have installed msi afterburner and overclocked abit to try it out.

Also my hard drive it quite noisy and it has been since i got the pc a year ago, i have installed Hd Tune pro and it says i have 2 unstable sectors
(i have ordered a SSD and a new HDD which will arrive tomorrow)

I am connected to my monitor via HDMI lead from my GTX 1060, but the hdmi lead is plugged into a hdmi to dvi connector and then dvi into the back of the monitor

Pc specs:
CPU - AMD A8-7650k Radeon R7
Ram - 16gb
GPU - EVGA Nvidia Gefore GTX 1060 6gb

Current display mode: 1680 x 1050 (32bit) (59Hz)
Monitor: ACER P221w
Case: CIT Vantage Gamer Case

descriptionSolvedRe: Started getting random coloured dashes across my screen

more_horiz
Hi @fubar1010

The A8-7650k radeon r7 CPU is not the best AMD CPU's but you should be ok.

Please visit Nvidia website to download and install latest version of your graphic card driver.  If you already installed latest version of the graphic card driver try previous version of the graphic card driver newer version could be buggy.

Be sure your computer's display screen resolution is set to match your LCD panel's maximum native resolution. When this is done, your LCD panel will perform exactly as it was engineered.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows .

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

1.  Once the installation begins SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

more_horiz
Thanks for the reply,

I have tried to run the Long generic test a few times but it just keeps failing.

I run a short generic and it run fine and said Pass

more_horiz
Hi @fubar1010

Please backup your personal files to another storage drive because Toshiba drive is failing and will soon stop working.

more_horiz
Ok thanks,

I thought so,

So i ordered a 64gb SSD for my boot drive and a WD 1 TB HDD - Blue, they should be here anytime within the next 3 hrs from amazon.

How can i do a fresh install of windows 10 to the SSD? i don't have a disc, i purchased the pc already installed with windows 10,

and also what CPU do you recommend i take a look at? preferably 1 that wont break the bank, but better than the AMD A8 i have and work better with my GTX 1060 6gb?

more_horiz
You can use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 Installation DVD or USB flash drive. You need to clean install Windows 10 on your computer with same Windows 10 edition and bit version (64-bit or 32-bit) if you don't do this you will need a Windows 10 product key for the Windows 10 edition you have installed if its different one that is already installed on your computer.

You can found out Windows 10 edition and bit version by right clicking the This PC from Start Menu, select More and  Properties.

Which CPU you can connect to your motherboard depends on first CPU socket number and if your computer support the CPU you want to connect. You can give me your computer details like model number, brand name then i can see if i can found information about which CPU your computer supports.

more_horiz
Gigabyte GA - F2A68HM-HD2 Motherboard

more_horiz
Your motherboard support following CPU's visit the link below.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A68HM-HD2-rev-10#support-cpu

more_horiz
When choosing CPU look for more cores 4 cores or more CPU will be faster if it has 1MB or more L1 cache and more for L2 and L3 caches. Speed of the CPU important as well.

more_horiz
How is everything progressing, do you need more assistant on this issue?

more_horiz
I am just trying to sort a flash drive to do the windows 10 install.

So do you think the first problem with all the random colored dashes on my screen was because of the hard drive?

more_horiz
fubar1010 wrote:
So do you think the first problem with all the random colored dashes on my screen was because of the hard drive?

No i think its either cause by bad LCD monitor, malfunctioning graphic card or graphic card driver.

more_horiz
Well i hope it isn't the graphics card, its only a week old...
it hasn't happened again since i posted this thread, could it be i was pushing the graphics card too much and the monitor or cpu couldn't handle it?

more_horiz
Did you overclock the graphic card if yes then this can cause your issue.

more_horiz
Yes..
Everything seems fine now, i guess i pushed it a little too much,
and thank you for your help mate, now to get this hard drive removed before it dies in my pc.

This thread can now be closed, thank you for your time and help
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum