GeekPolice Tech TutorialsLog in

Trojan.Multi.GenAutorunTask.a detected

descriptionSolvedRe: Trojan.Multi.GenAutorunTask.a detected

more_horiz
Create a system restore point

• Search for Create a restore point from the taskbar and select it from the list of results.
  • On the System Protection tab in System Properties, select Create.

• Enter a description for the restore point, and then select Create > OK. (Name it "Reinstall Microsoft Edge")

NEXT

Press the Search or Cortana button next to Start, or just press Start, and type "Powershell." When a result pops up, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

Enter the following command in the console:

Code:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

(Hint: CTRL+C to copy the code above, and then in PowerShell, use CTRL+V to paste it.)

After this, reboot your computer.

more_horiz
The powershell operation was successful but edge still closes right away.

more_horiz
You can completely reset Microsoft Edge to default for only your account. When you reset Microsoft Edge, it will also delete all of your favorites in Microsoft Edge. If wanted, you should back up your favorites in Microsoft Edge first.

Please start the Powershell as a administrator.

Execute following commands one at time please:

Code:

remove-item $env:localappdata\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\* -recurse -Force

Code:

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Restart your computer and test if issue resolved.

more_horiz
OP which version of the Windows OS you are running Microsoft Edge from?

more_horiz
I am running Windows 10.

more_horiz
My problem was with my regular user account (I don't do any regular computer activities as the admin account).  I tried running the powershell commands as that user and it fixed the problem.  My pinned items to my start menu were wiped out as well.  But I'm guessing I can just repopulate those.  Likely nothing to worry about there?  If not thanks for everything and we can mark this as resolved.

more_horiz
We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, if the apps are not missing then you can pinned them back to Start Menu.
If any one of Windows 10 default apps missing and you want to restore it please start a new topic at PC Technical Support forum.

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum