WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Start up issues and other misc problems

3 posters

descriptionSolvedRe: Start up issues and other misc problems

more_horiz
I do have a laptop I'll try to use the tool.

more_horiz
After you have created Windows Setup Media boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and let us know please.

more_horiz
I Will , thank you

more_horiz
You are very welcome!

more_horiz
I have a 4gb thumbdrive, how do I make sure it's empty?

more_horiz
It's telling me I need a bigger thumb drive

more_horiz
I have no idea why Windows Media Creation Tool not accepting 4 GB USB flash drive size of the USB flash drive is good try formatting the USB flash drive see that will help. You can also download the Windows 8.1 ISO image and use Rufus program to create Windows Setup USB flash drive.

more_horiz
How do I format  the flash drive?

more_horiz
Open This PC and right click USB flash drive and select format from context menu.

more_horiz
That didn't work, I'll get a bigger one and try again

more_horiz
Wow that is strange yes please try bigger USB flash drive.

more_horiz
When I did the format it said the flash drive was only 3.78 gb , maybe that's why.

more_horiz
Could be i'm not sure like i said if you like you can download the Windows 8.1 ISO image with Media Creation Tool and use Rufus program to create bootable Windows 8.1 Setup USB flash drive.

more_horiz
OK, Everything is downloaded to a fresh 16gb flash drive. What's the next step

more_horiz
Boot your computer with the USB flash drive.
We will first repair Windows system files then repair hard disk drive errors after we are finish with these repairs you will use Automatic Repair (Startup Repair) tool.

Please open the Command Prompt.

The following command scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Code:

Sfc  /Scannow   /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\   /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows

Following command will  fixes errors on the disk and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Code:

Chkdsk D: /r

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

After you have finish executing the commands run Automatic Repair (Startup Repair) tool and when this tool finish restart your computer to check if it will boot normally.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum