WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Help with possible virus

3 posters

descriptionSolvedRe: Help with possible virus

more_horiz
I have Norton, McAfee and Iobit all uninstalled. Bitdefender Total Security is installed and running. The computer seems a little better but still slow to load pages and slow on start-up. Maybe it's a case of me expecting more out of an older unit than it can give..

more_horiz
If you prefer you can repair install Windows 8.1 without losing your personal file and your personal settings.

"How to Repair Install Windows 8 and 8.1 without Losing Anything"
https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

more_horiz
Yes, I don't have a problem if you follow FreeBooter's instruction just above mine first, and then also do the following:

Open Bitdefender by double clicking on the tray icon (the bold white B with a red or gray background). Next, click the down arrow for Modules. After that, select Firewall.

In the box that pops up, press Adapters, and then make sure the following settings are for each listed item of connection:
Network Type: Home/Office
Stealth Mode: Off
Generic: On

Then, hit the back arrow to go back to Modules (located at top of that window). Then select Intrusion Detection. In that interface, make sure that it is turned On, and then make sure the slider is set to Permissive. - Do the same for Active Threat Control (if it exists).

Lastly, please keep in mind there is an optimizer built into the Bitdefender Interface. You can access it from the Bitdefender main screen (so you don't miss those IOBit products). OneClick Optimizer should keep you running fast.

After you have configured any settings and then rebooted your computer, let it run for a little while, and then tell me how it is operating.

more_horiz
When it rains it pours. Bitdefender took my money and never sent an activation code. Apparently I'm running trial that runs out in 29 days.

more_horiz
Sorry to hear that... Try to log in to Bitdefender by opening the program, click the person icon at the top next to the minimize button, and then hit Account Info. It should allow you to log in. The one you bought should allow you to log in to the same account the activation key was sent (or apparently sent to), and it will automatically update Bitdefender with the activation key. If not, then contact them as soon as possible.

If you recorded an order number, then please tell them the order number in the message/phone call to them.

more_horiz
I finally got Bitdefender working,  but now it seems to have locked up.  I can enter my password and get to the start page but I can't get to the desktop

more_horiz
Can you open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys. If you can start the Task Manager click File from menu bar and select "Run new Task". At the "Create new task" dialog box type Explorer.exe   and click OK button.

Help with possible virus - Page 8 NxrryZL

Please inform us with the result.

more_horiz
I got through all that , when I clicked Ok thelibrary page opened .

more_horiz
Please follow the instructions at below page link.

"Repair Windows Explorer Not Starting"
https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50

more_horiz
I'm not having any luck with that

more_horiz
Does Windows Explorer work under Safe Mode?

Can you uninstall Bitdefender within Safe Mode but you will have to make Windows Installer service will not work under Safe Mode follow the instructions at below link tutorial.

"Make Windows Installer Service Work Under Safe Mode"

https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=127

more_horiz
Hi @pappy

We have not heard from you about result of you uninstalling Bitdefender, are you still having problem with Windows Explorer not running?

more_horiz
The computer is working again, just not real well. we can close this out and I'll start a new thread for future issues. Thank you for all your help.

more_horiz
We are glad to hear your issue resolved!

Please install all available important Windows updates, you can check and install Windows updates by opening "Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Windows Update" applet and click "Check for updates".

Secunia PSI is a tool that can be used to monitor your installed applications for new updates. When started, Secunia PSI will scan your computer for applications and install any updates that are available for them. This allows your computer to remain secure from possible vulnerabilities in your installed programs.

Make sure to keep your antivirus software up to date.

You should be very careful with usage of the peer-to-peer file sharing programs, these file sharing programs are use to infect computers. It is therefore possible to be infected by downloading manipulated files via peer-to-peer tools and thus suggested to be used with intense care.

Even with antivirus software watching your back, follow these rules to reduce your risk of infection:

• Open only attachments that you’re expecting. If you receive something unexpected from a friend, don’t open it. Instead, email or phone that person to ask whether he or she really sent you something. Your friend’s computer might be infected and trying to infect your computer, as well.

• Be wary of items arriving in email that ask for a click. For example, if you receive a message saying somebody wants to be a Facebook friend, don’t click it. Instead, visit Facebook from your browser and look to see whether the person is listed on your “waiting to be friended” list. The more emailed links you can avoid, the safer you’ll be.

• If you receive an important-looking email from a financial institution that asks you to click a link and type in your name and password, don’t do it. Instead, visit your financial institution’s website through your web browser and log in there. Chances are good that there’s nothing wrong with your account, and that email was only trying to steal your username and password. (This type of scam is often called phishing).

• If you prefer running a third-party antivirus programs, you’re welcome to do so. But don’t run two third-party antivirus programs and firewall at same time, because they often quarrel.

• Avoid websites that provide pirated material. If you have to download a file from the Internet, an email, an FTP site, a file-sharing service, etc., scan it before you run it. A good anti-virus software will do that automatically, but make sure it is being done.

• Never use the same password, especially on your bank account. If you use the same password for everything, or on many things, and it is discovered, then it takes only seconds to hack your account. Use a strong password. Use lower case, upper case, numbers, and symbols in your password. Keep it easy to remember but difficult to guess. Do not use dates or pet names.

• Some pop-up windows or boxes will attempt to corner you into downloading software or accepting a free "system scan" of some type. Often these pop-ups will employ scare tactics to make you believe you need what they are offering in order to be safe. Close the pop-up without clicking anything inside it (including the X in the corner). Close the window via Windows Task Manager (press Ctrl-Alt-Delete).

• Never use illegal file-sharing services if you do you're on your own if you enter this realm. There is little quality control in the world of illegal software, and it is easy for an attacker to name a piece of malware after a popular movie, album, or program to tempt you into downloading it.

• No matter which browser you use, keeping it current is vital to preventing infection. Take advantage of your browser's pop-up blocking, download screening, and automatic update features.

• You can drastically reduce the risk of an infection by knowing what and from where you are downloading a file. We recommend that you install a site advisor like Web of Trust or Norton Safe Web, which will help you decide if the site is trustworthy or not. As a general rule it’s recommended that you download files from known and reputable sites that have confirmed that the download is malware free. If you are unsure about the quality of a download, leave the site and research the software you are being asked to install. If it is OK, you can always come back to site and install it. If it is not OK, you will avoid a malware headache.

Thanks for choosing GeekPolice, see this page if you would like to leave feedback or contribute to our site. Do you have any more questions?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum