WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

[INACTIVE] EXTREMELY slow computer with terrible startup

3 posters

description[INACTIVE] EXTREMELY slow computer with terrible startup - Page 4 EmptyRe: [INACTIVE] EXTREMELY slow computer with terrible startup

more_horiz
That Tweaking program froze on me, I shut down and went into Normal Mode like you've asked. It's running slower than it would in Safe Mode.

Those Java updates were only able to be uninstalled after updating them. I tried downloading Java after that and I got this message:

Java did not complete
Error Code: 1618
Please refer to the Java Help Center for troubleshooting information or contact your system administrator.

Should I try Tweaking again?

description[INACTIVE] EXTREMELY slow computer with terrible startup - Page 4 EmptyRe: [INACTIVE] EXTREMELY slow computer with terrible startup

more_horiz
Error 1618 isn’t unique to Java. It is an error from Microsoft Installer (.msi) stating that another .msi is currently being processed. You see, the Microsoft Installer, msiexec.exe, can only process one installation at a time. This error will be encountered when one MSI is attempted to be installed while another is currently processing. Reboot your computer and try installing Java.

more_horiz
Okay, so I rebooted and was able to download the latest Java. My browser stopped working along with everything else. I tried to click a folder or browser to open but nothing comes up. 

And to answer Dr. Jay: After uninstalling Adobe and Java, other than being able to log in normally at a decent speed, it's still posing the same problems.

more_horiz
Hi omicron_persei8,

Was the browser working before you have installed Java?

What else is not working?

We can try few troubleshooting to find out what is causing slow computer performance.

Create new user account and see issue resolves within new user account if it does then your user account is corrupted.

Please follow my instructions at my tutorial to boost performance of Windows OS.

"Tweaking & Optimizing Window Operating System"
http://www.geekpolice.net/t30298-tweaking-optimizing-windows-operating-system

I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.

• Please right click the Windows logo (formerly the start button) at the bottom left of your screen.
  • Please select  "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  • Please type the following command and press the key: sfc /scannow  (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)
  • It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.
  • If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.
  • If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.
  • If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately.  I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.
  • If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file

If the issue is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method which will allow you to troubleshoot if a service or process is causing the issue to appear.

With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.

Follow the steps at below link to perform clean boot state.

"Clean Boot Windows"
https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109

more_horiz
Yes it was working better before installing Java. In general, everything was just loading up faster. It just took me 5 minutes to open up the Control Panel. 

I'll be going through your instructions as much as it lets me.

more_horiz
Please use Revo Uninstaller program to uninstall Java don't reinstall Java till we deal with any other issues.

more_horiz
Yeah so, the other account I created was just as slow.
Literally after installing Java, it went back to how it was before. I'm having the same issues again with the start up and log in screen. I just have a black screen with my mouse.

EDIT: Just realized you had replied but it went to the 2nd page. Regardless, I have to try and reboot until I log in correctly if you want me to keep working in Normal Mode.

more_horiz
Do what you can from Safe Mode but make sure to check the results by booting Windows in normal mode.

Please tell me when you have finish trying my suggestions!

more_horiz
Thank you, I will move on over to Safe Mode and try the Revo Uninstaller there. I'll log in normally after and let you know how that goes.

more_horiz
Okay, after uninstalling Java with Revo, I tried logging back through Normal Mode and it still gives me a black screen with the mouse. It shows me my desktop now but icons, folders, its all missing or slowly loading up.

At least through Safe Mode I was able to log in nearly right away and access a web browser.

more_horiz
First use CCleaner program to delete all temporary files including icon cache and thumbnails.

Have you performed clean boot method what was the result if you did?

more_horiz
I was able to run CCleaner again and clean out the junk. But as far as the Clean Boot part goes, I've gotten as far as checking the Hide all Microsoft services, but the Disable All button is not clickable.

Standing by. . .
In the meantime, I can try those Tweaking & Optimizing instructions you left a few posts ago.

more_horiz
Did you tried to perform clean boot from Safe Mode and normal mode?
After clicking Hide all Microsoft services, can you disable third party services by unchecking services check boxes?

more_horiz
Sorry, being a bit under the weather I wasn't too focused on the issue. I had to individually check the boxes, I had thought it would've done so after clicking Hide all Microsoft services. I was able to hit Disable All and restart.

I did it in Safe Mode and now jumping into Normal Mode.
17:13 PST - Welcome log in
17:17 - Black screen with mouse
17:23 - Background and icons now visible. Been waiting on the browser to load for about 10 minutes.

So I think it's safe to say that did not change much Sad tearing

more_horiz
Please uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs to see if issue resolves.

You can also if you prefer perform a repair install Windows 7 this process will preserve your user accounts, personal data, programs, and system drivers.

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum