WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Blue Screen (4e)

3 posters

descriptionWindows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Blue Screen (4e) EmptyWindows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Blue Screen (4e)

more_horiz
Hey everyone!

I know this site is awesome and I've always appreciated your help. ( I had an account here years ago but don't recall my username.)

So the beginning of this year, I encountered some problems with my work computer blue-screening.  This PC had never had an issue before, and needless to say this caught me at a bad time. The issue happened a second time before I started doing all sorts of research to try and figure out what the problem was. About two weeks-ago we experienced a slow workload in the Office, so I reinstalled Windows. The computer had been in use ~3 years so I figured it would do some good. And it did, until about half an hour ago. I really don't know how to proceed here so I decided to return to GeekPolice for some assistance.

One thing to note is functionality isn't a problem (So far! the previous Win 7 install only had one major problem; the event viewer itself was broken) . But obviously, blue-screens at random times are less than convenient.

Here is all the info from the post-event. Unfortunately I couldn't snag a picture of the blue-screen as it was almost done by the time I walked into my office.
BlueScreen :

I will try to run a MemTest overnight tonight as well, but any other advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Kenneth

descriptionWindows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Blue Screen (4e) EmptyRe: Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Blue Screen (4e)

more_horiz
BSOD's are almost always caused by a hardware failure. You could run a test on your hard drive.

Run hard drive diagnostics: tacktech.com
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: imgburn to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here:

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

descriptionWindows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Blue Screen (4e) EmptyRe: Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Blue Screen (4e)

more_horiz
Thank you for the prompt response Superdave. I have a Seagate HD; everything passed. The Long-Generic took ~4 1/2 hours and didn't complete in time for me to post results yesterday.

S.M.A.R.T - Pass
Short DST - Pass
Short Generic - Pass
Long Generic - Pass

I will run MemTest this evening and post the results tomorrow morning.

more_horiz
Second Bluescreen: 8 minutes ago.

2nd Bluescreen :

Still going to attempt MemTest tonight. Will restart beforehand; hopefully that buys some time.

more_horiz
Memtest completed 9 passes without error.

more_horiz
Download BlueScreenView to your desktop.
BlueScreenView
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply.

more_horiz
First BSOD
==================================================
Dump File         : 081616-23446-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 8/16/2016 12:46:58 PM
Bug Check String  : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1       : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2       : fffff960`001691b3
Parameter 3       : fffff880`0cabaac0
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : win32k.sys
Caused By Address : win32k.sys+c91b3
File Description  : Multi-User Win32 Driver
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+6f400
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\081616-23446-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 296,248
Dump File Time    : 8/16/2016 12:47:56 PM
==================================================

2nd BSOD :

Thanks Superdave.

more_horiz
This shows that it was caised by a win32k.sys driver. Did you check your Device Manager to see if there are any yellow icons?

more_horiz
You were 100% correct Dave. I've gone ahead and fixed all of my driver issues and will keep you updated. For some reason my Mobo drivers for the SM Bus Controller did not apply and I had to re-install them. I will give it a week or so before I declare the problem as 'solved', but I have high hopes.

This is odd, since it never told me there was a problem. But once I went to Device Manager I was met with yellow flags. I always thought it would tell you. Let me think

Anyways; thanks for your help Dave! I'll follow-up next week.

more_horiz
Sounds like a plan.

more_horiz
Well Dave I haven't seen any Blue-Screens, so I'd have to say your Driver fix was definitely the solution.

I really appreciate your help here.

more_horiz
Came in today to another blue-screen having occurred overnight.

Sep-3rd :

more_horiz
Another BlueScreen on Saturday:

September 17th: :

more_horiz
Run the BlueScreenview again and post the log.

more_horiz
Both logs again:

Sep 3rd:
Spoiler :

Sep 17th:
Spoiler :

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum