WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Computer acting strange

3 posters

descriptionSolvedComputer acting strange

more_horiz
For a while now, my laptop has been taking longer than normal to boot up.  It comes up fairly quickly, but it won't let me do anything at first.  After 30 seconds or so, the screen will go black.  Sometimes, it's just a flicker and sometimes it's 30 seconds or more.  When it comes back, I can continue on to whatever I want to do.  After I've been on it for a few minutes, I often start having a lag issue when I type or scroll.  Sometimes, I'll type a whole sentence and it won't start showing it on the screen until I've already finished typing it.  The scrolling is the same way.  It's driving me nuts.

Here is the Adwcleaner log:

# AdwCleaner v5.201 - Logfile created 24/07/2016 at 10:13:22
# Updated 30/06/2016 by ToolsLib
# Database : 2016-07-21.2 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 10 Home  (X64)
# Username : Melesia - TULLY_LAPTOP
# Running from : C:\Users\Melesia\Downloads\adwcleaner_5.201.exe
# Option : Clean
# Support : https://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\ABB

***** [ Files ] *****

***** [ DLLs ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] [C:\Users\Melesia\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : aol.com
[-] [C:\Users\Melesia\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : ask.com
[-] [C:\Users\Melesia\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : nortonsafe.search.ask.com
[-] [C:\Users\Melesia\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
:: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [3553 bytes] - [25/06/2016 08:04:17]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C2].txt - [1154 bytes] - [30/06/2016 18:32:39]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C3].txt - [1422 bytes] - [24/07/2016 10:13:22]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [3354 bytes] - [25/06/2016 08:00:53]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S2].txt - [982 bytes] - [30/06/2016 18:08:12]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S3].txt - [339 bytes] - [24/07/2016 10:08:23]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S4].txt - [1672 bytes] - [24/07/2016 10:10:09]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C3].txt - [1785 bytes] ##########

And the MBAM log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 7/24/2016
Scan Time: 10:22 AM
Logfile: mbamlog.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.2.1.1043
Malware Database: v2016.07.24.03
Rootkit Database: v2016.05.27.01
License: Premium
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Melesia

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 342900
Time Elapsed: 33 min, 53 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

I'm running TrendMicro and it wouldn't let me get to the other recommended page.

descriptionSolvedRe: Computer acting strange

more_horiz
Hello and welcome to GeekPolice.Net My name is Dave. I will be helping you out with your particular problem on your computer.

1. I will be working on your Malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.
2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
3. If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to ask.
4. Please DO NOT run any other tools or scans while I am helping you.
5. It is important that you reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
6. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
7. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.

If you can't access the internet with your infected computer you will have to download and transfer any programs to the computer you're using now and transfer them to the infected computer with a CD-RW or a USB storage device. I prefer a CD because a storage device can get infected. If you use a storage device hold the shift key down while inserting the USB storage device for about 10 secs. You will also have to transfer the logs you receive back to the good computer using the same method until we can get the computer back on-line.
I'm running TrendMicro and it wouldn't let me get to the other recommended page..

You should be able to configure your AV to run whatever you want.
When you boot your computer start your Task Manager to see what is taking up so much resourses. CTRL, ALT, Delete. Click on processes.

StartupLite

Download StartupLite by MalwareBytes to your Desktop.
Doubleclick StartupLite.exe to launch the program.
Ensure the Disable box is checked.
Click Continue.
A pop up message will tell you the unecessary startup items in your list have been disabled and ask you to restart your computer.
Re-start your computer.
Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

Warning! Once the scan is complete JRT will shut down your browser with NO warning.

Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.

•Temporarily disable your Antivirus and any Antispyware real time protection before performing a scan. Click this link to see a list of security programs that should be disabled and how to disable them.

•Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click JRT and select Run as Administrator

•The tool will open and start scanning your system.

•Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

•On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.

•Copy and Paste the JRT.txt log into your next message.
Download Security Check by screen317 from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.

Security Check

* Double-click Security Check.bat
* Follow the on-screen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
* Post the contents of that document in your next reply.

Note: If a security program requests permission from dig.exe to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

more_horiz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.0.7 (07.03.2016)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
Ran by Melesia (Administrator) on Sun 07/24/2016 at 15:48:35.50

File System: 1

Successfully deleted: C:\WINDOWS\prefetch\TOOLBARNATIVEMSGHOST.EXE-2877DF3A.pf (File)

Registry: 1

Successfully deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{87ED4548-102D-4337-B283-C0DC4E9ED816} (Registry Key)

Results of screen317's Security Check version 1.014 --- 12/23/15  
  x64 (UAC is enabled)  
Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Trend Micro Maximum Security  
Windows Defender              
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Java 8 Update 91  
Java version 32-bit out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 22.0.0.209  
Google Chrome (51.0.2704.103)
Google Chrome (51.0.2704.84)
Google Chrome (SetupMetrics.pma..)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe  
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe  
Trend Micro AMSP coreServiceShell.exe  
Trend Micro UniClient UiFrmWrk uiWatchDog.exe
Trend Micro AMSP coreFrameworkHost.exe  
Trend Micro Titanium plugin Pt\PtSvcHost.exe
Trend Micro TMIDS PwmSvc.exe  
Trend Micro Titanium plugin Pt\PtWatchDog.exe
Trend Micro UniClient UiFrmWrk uiSeAgnt.exe
Trend Micro AMSP module 20013\ChromeExt\chromeextension\TmopChromeMsgHost32.exe
Trend Micro Titanium UIFramework Toolbar\chromeextension\NativeMessageHost\ToolbarNativeMsgHost.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  %
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

When I ran the StartupLite, the only thing that came up to disable was SunJavaUpdateSched.  When I clicked on continue, an error message popped up saying "Error on value: SunJavaUpdateSched.  There was an error creating a MSConfig key."

more_horiz
You have two AV's on your computer; Windows Defender which is the AV that comes with Windows and Trend Micro. One will have to be disabled. This could cause some problems.
Did you try opening your Task Manager?

Update Your Java (JRE)

Old versions of Java have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.

First Verify your Java Version

If there are any other version(s) installed then update now.

Get the new version (if needed)

If your version is out of date install the newest version of the Sun Java Runtime Environment.

Note: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software offered with the Java update. The pre-checked toolbars/software are not part of the Java update.

Be sure to close ALL open web browsers before starting the installation.

Remove any old versions

1. Download JavaRa and unzip the file to your Desktop.
2. Open JavaRA.exe and choose Remove Older Versions
3. Once complete exit JavaRA.

Additional Note: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click OK and reboot your computer.
I'd like to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

•Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
ESET OnlineScan

•Click the Computer acting strange EsetOnline button.
•For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

• Click on Computer acting strange EsetSmartInstall to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Computer acting strange EsetSmartInstallDesktopIcon-1 icon on your desktop.

•Check Computer acting strange EsetAcceptTerms
•Click the Computer acting strange EsetStart button.
•Accept any security warnings from your browser.

• Leave the check mark next to Remove found threats.

•Check Computer acting strange EsetScanArchives
•Push the Start button.
•ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
•When the scan completes, push Computer acting strange EsetListThreats
•Push Computer acting strange EsetExport, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
•Push the Computer acting strange EsetBack button.
•Push Computer acting strange EsetFinish
A log file will be saved here: C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Online Scanner\log.txt

more_horiz
I knew I had both AV programs on here, but I thought I had Windows Defender disabled.  Do I not?

I checked the task manager.  It looks like TrendMicro is the only thing that is sucking up a lot of CPU.  I sat an watched it for a couple minutes.  It was going from 85% to 99% a couple times.  The disk column got up to 100% at one point.

I tried to run the ESet scanner last night.  It got almost finished and it locked up.  It had found 14 items, but never got to finish.  

I've disabled Trend and I'm trying to run it again tonight.  When I double click on the Eset Online Scanner icon that was downloaded onto my desktop, I keep getting a blue box that says Windows Smart Screen has blocked it.  It allows me to run it anyway. It keeps telling me "Cannot update virus signature database. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet."  I am connected to the internet.  I have disconnected and reconnected.  I have even tried restarting the computer and it still won't work.

more_horiz
Oh and I forgot to add that I updated Java before I started the series in your last post.

more_horiz
I thought I had Windows Defender disabled. Do I not?

The log shows it enabled.

Please go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

1. Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
2. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
3. When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
4. Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
Archives

5. Click on My Computer under Scan.
6. Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
7. You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
8. Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button.
9. Please post this log in your next reply.

more_horiz
When I clicked on the link and went to the site, the first thing on the page says "Think you've got a virus? Scan your PC for free." When I click on that, it downloads Kaspersky Security Scan and Software Updater. After it was done, I clicked on Settings at the bottom of the app, but the options you listed were not there. I ran a scan, but it zipped right through in just a few seconds. It didn't find anything nor did it give me the option of saving a report.

more_horiz
Ok, how are things with the computer now?

more_horiz
Nothing has changed. It was actually worse this morning. It took longer to boot up. I was trying to figure out how to disable Windows Defender thinking maybe that's what was causing some or all of this problem. I did a search through Cortana for Windows Defender. When I clicked on Windows Defender Desktop App in the search results, it said "This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your system." When I clicked on Windows Defender Settings, it shows that real-time protection, cloud-based protection, and automatic sample submission are all on. When I click on Open Windows Defender at the bottom of that screen it gives me that same message.

more_horiz
To disable WD you need to go to Control Panel, Windows Defender, tools, Options, and select Realtime Protection. You can disable it there. You would be better off staying with WD because it is free and effective.

more_horiz
It won't let me into Windows Defender to even get to tools.  I went to control panel and clicked on Windows Defender, and it gave me the message I mentioned before "This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your system."

Another thing I meant to ask you. I have a paid subscription to Malwarebytes, but Windows 10 (or this computer, not sure which) doesn't seem to like it. After I've had it on for a while, it will get to the point that I can't use the start button, Cortana, or any of the icons in the notifications/clock area. Once I uninstall Malwarebytes, that part starts working again. Do you know of any issues with Malwarebytes and Windows 10 or could it be a conflict with WD?

more_horiz
You must be signed in as Adm. to turn on WD. See the link here. You should ask MBAM about this issue. I'm sure they have a help site.

more_horiz
Now it tells me that WD is turned off by group policy. I want it turned off since I have a paid subscription to TrendMicro. However.... If I type Windows Defender Settings into Cortana, it still shows real-time and cloud-based protection is on. I'm confused.

more_horiz
According to the Security log both AV's are active. That is the reason why you're getting that warning and you can't do anything with WD. When you subscription runs out for TrendMicro uninstall it and then activate WD.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum