WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Multiple Problems Related To Computer and Internet Freezing

2 posters

descriptionMultiple Problems Related To Computer and Internet Freezing - Page 2 EmptyRe: Multiple Problems Related To Computer and Internet Freezing

more_horiz
Does it freeze when you're on-line or are you doing other things when that happens?

descriptionMultiple Problems Related To Computer and Internet Freezing - Page 2 EmptyRe: Multiple Problems Related To Computer and Internet Freezing

more_horiz
So far from what I have seen, it freezes when I am online. I have not seen it freeze when I run it in safe mode, even if I am online.

I believe that there is something problematic within my firefox system or settings but I'm not sure what they are. I have removed or disabled problematic plugins and add-ons that may be causing problems.

I usually don't see script warnings so I think that the usual cause of those is not the primary culprit. Also, CTRL+ALT+DEL fails and any attempt to access the start menu and any other program within it is also affected by the internet freezing.

more_horiz
I found this helpful link (at MozillaZine.org see "Firefox Hangs) but I do not think that I have tried all of these solutions.  I have done a number of the measures especially those involving plugins, managing flash, and keeping all drivers and other software up to date.  It's information may provide some information.

Is there some way that I can send event logs of the computer and firefox browser sections to you?  Perhaps this will help illuminate the problem/s at work.

more_horiz
Actually, this does sometimes occurs when I am not online. Just today, the computer froze when I was running an anti-virus scan for a couple of hours. Ctrl alt and del failed to work and I had to manually turn off the computer.

more_horiz
Do you the Windows 7 disk (s) or do you have a recovery on a separate part of your hard drive? Does it freeze when using IE?

more_horiz
I don't believe that I have the Windows 7 disc since it was already installed in my laptop when I purchased it. I don't know if I have a recovery for it either.

I don't use IE because it freezes even worse when I use that.

It freezes regardless of what I do online or offline and regardless of what browser I use.

more_horiz
Click on My Computer and look for two drives C and D

more_horiz
I'm currently on Drive C. There are no cds in my D drive, so there's nothing in my D drive.

What should I do now?

more_horiz
Do you have a D drive? Are any drives labelled Recovery?

more_horiz
The only D-drive that I see on My Computer is the DVD RW Drive. I typed in "recovery" in the Start bar and I got the Gateway Recovery Panel. It has a variety of options on it.

more_horiz
You will have to investigate your Recovery system. There is something wrong with your OS files.

more_horiz
How do I investigate the Recovery system? I don't understand what the OS files are nor how I access and fix them.

What can I do to fix things without doing a full system wipe?

more_horiz
What can I do to fix things without doing a full system wipe?.

From what I can tell there appears to be something not quite correct with the OS. There is not much more I can do from my position except to run this last test. Please do this even though you don't have the OS disk.
Please let me know if it finds corrupted files.

To Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 7
1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. To Scan and Repair System Files
NOTE: Scans the integrity of all protected system files and repairs the system files if needed.
A) In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: This may take some time to finish.

Multiple Problems Related To Computer and Internet Freezing - Page 2 2327d1231529432t-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker-command-1

B) Go to step 4.

3. To Only Verify if the System Files are Corrupted
NOTE: Scans and only verifies the integrity of all proteced system files only.
A) In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /verifyonly and press Enter.

4. When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see all is ok like the screenshot below.
NOTE: If not, then you can attempt to run a System Restore using a restore point dated before the bad file occured to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a System Restore until you find a older restore point that may work.

Multiple Problems Related To Computer and Internet Freezing - Page 2 2328d1231529438t-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker-finished

5. When done, close the elevated command prompt.

more_horiz
I ran the check and there were no integrity violations reported from the 100% scan. I don't know what could be causing the freezing. I even bought a cooling pad with fans to help with the rising heat.

more_horiz
1. Click Start, click Run, type chkdsk /r, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type Y to let the disk scanner run when you restart the computer.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Chkdsk will run.
You can use Speedfan to check your temperatures.
You can also check your hard drive and RAM using these programs.

That could be a problem with bad RAM. Please run this check just to eliminate that possibility.
Test your RAM here.
Run hard drive diagnostics: tacktech.com
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: imgburn to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here:

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum